• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recession: Job losses will accelerate, predicts CBI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recession: Job losses will accelerate, predicts CBI

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/ar...844031,00.html

"A gloomy picture of British manufacturing industry emerged from the latest CBI survey which predicts the loss of thousands more manufacturing jobs. Although coming from a traditionally pessimistic source, the survey did nothing to allay fears over British economic prospects.
    The October survey of business by the Confederation of British Industry tells a sorry tale of declining order books and falling optimism brought on mainly by the tough conditions on the shopping high streets.

As a result job losses in the manufacturing sector would average 25,500 for each quarter of 2005, up from a rate of 22,000 last year, predict CBI economists.

",

happy christmas

Milan.

German businesses' optimistic outlook surprises analysts

German Business's optimistic...

That should put the Euro up.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
      Falling order books due to the tough conditions on the shopping high streets.
      Then we've got to borrow more and keep spending!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
        German businesses' optimistic outlook surprises analysts

German Business's optimistic...

That should put the Euro up.

If you read the article carefully it says that the European central Bank will inevitably raise interest rates if growth rises in Germany.
        Will this not kill off that very growth? Looks like the ECB wants to preserve the status quo at all costs. Poor Germany, stuck in the Euro for the benefit of the crap countries like Italy and Greece.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

you got it Wendigo,

max those credit cards to keep the country in work

unlock the equity in your house

sorted

Milan.

Comment

Will this not kill off that very growth?
            We will see what we will see.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

doesn't that depend how highly geared companies and people in the region are to credit ?

in Germany/Austria credit is more regulated/controlled than in the UK meaning that people are more likely to be savers than credit card spenders in these countries, meaning that when the bank increases interest rates it doesn't have the immediate on / off effect on spending that it has in the uk, interests rates in the Euro zone are not the thumb screws that they are in the UK

not to mention, higher rates will attract more foreign investment looking to take advantage of those rates

the UK is in a tricky position, lower rates too much and the foreign money will pull out and look for better returns elsewhere

here endeth today's economics lesson

Milan.

Comment

dead right Milan, dead right
                Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Bugger me, Milan got something right!

The Box Heads are not a nation of borrowers, most rent rather than mortgage and many would not know how to use a credit card if given one.
                  When I arrived here in 98 IKEA in Munich didnt accept them and lots of shops still dont.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

...in fact what the UK needs right now is a deep recession to get the people off the streets, relieving all that congestion and over filled tube trains. We need them at home drinking lager, filling out reposession orders from the building soc. and banging their heads in frustration against their swanky new flat screen televisions.
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 26 October 2005, 15:34.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X