• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The word "engineer" has been debased

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The word "engineer" has been debased

An engineer is someone with a 3-4 year engineering degree followed by some practical experience in industry or maybe a Chartered Engineer.
    Anyone else is a technician of some kind.
    No wonder the country is in the state its in.
    If your British Gas boiler man calls himself an engineer, why will your children aspire to become one?
    Last edited by sasguru; 5 June 2009, 09:33.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    An engineer is someone with a 3-4 year engineering degree followed by some practical experience in industry and maybe a Chartered Engineer.
    If your British Gas boiler man calls himself an engineer, why will your children aspire to become one?
    You don't need a degree to become a chartered engineer.

Hth.

Comment

So you're and Engineer are you? Where's your ******* hammer then?

That's what they used to shout in my day.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        You don't need a degree to become a chartered engineer.

Hth.
        Thats what I said. Try to understand the meaning of the word "or".

HTH
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          An engineer is someone with a 3-4 year engineering degree followed by some practical experience in industry and maybe a Chartered Engineer.
          I agree in general, but would support what the puppy said in that someone with enough relevant experience should also be regarded as an engineer.

The term is devalued by the fact that bog cleaners are now sanitation engineers etc. In most of Europe the title requires qualifications.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

sas is right on this one. Most other countries respect Engineers and give then a formal title like Doctors.
            Originally posted by cailin maith
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

The last engineer I spoke to was a young chap in a call centre in Mumbai.

He asked me how to spell USB.

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
                sas is right on this one. Most other countries respect Engineers and give then a formal title like Doctors.
                It's what Zeity is laughing at. In Most of Europe the title is Ing. I believe it is derived from ingenious rather than engineer though.
                But as I said the other day, there is no requirement in the UK for anybody in software to hold engineering status or even have any training or qualifications.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Stone me, they've been banging on about that for donkey's years....

You need an MSc to become Chartered with the IET these days...

Not that there's much point in my experience, it's only a way of increasing the amount of money they extract out of you in fees.
                  Oh no you don't you know!

CEng is not dependant on holding a degree of any type.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    The last engineer I spoke to was a young chap in a call centre in Mumbai.

He asked me how to spell USB.
                    Coffee meet keyboard / keyboard coffee. Damn you, prawn.

Comment

Working...
                    X