• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How the feck did we win WWII?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How the feck did we win WWII?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panjandrum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-2_rocket

Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Did we not try to make an ice aircraft carrier?

Comment

Turtleing!

We stayed in good old blightly and let Hitler waste lots of time fuel and money sending planes over here when it cost us limited fuel to defend against the luftwaffe.

When our planes got shot down the pilots could jump out and be popped into another plane since they landed on freindly territory, no so with the Germans.

We just nibbled away until we had build up enough to charge over en-masse and whip some Jerry ass. Don't forget that those were also the times when the Queens Navy ruled the oceans which prevented Hitler from doing anything but sending planes in at us.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        Did we not try to make an ice aircraft carrier?
        Pykrete, Churchill supposedly wanted several gigantic ones built. The concept isn't quite as barmy as it sounds as it melts at quite a high temperature, theoretically it would have been bomb, fire and torpedo proof and it's thoroughly bouyant stuff.

The panjandrum aside there were plenty of off the wall ideas that worked rather well in practice. Barnes Wallace came up with the supersonic earthquake bomb (a direct descendant of which is still in use) and the bouncing bomb, there were mine and obstacle clearing tanks and even swimming tanks (most of which sank, but some worked). We have modern radar and radio communications, arguably modern computing, satellite launching systems (mostly nabbed from German scientists), jet engines, long range airliners and reliable parachutes as a direct result of WW2 developments. You could also add plastic and reconstructive surgery and instruments to the list if you feel like it and probably thousands of other things including the ancestor of the diode which is the basis for all modern electronics.

Comment

We did not win WW2, we were just on the winning side, the yanks and the soviets were more interested in Europe than us, we were never a concern, just a location to locate troops in.

Comment

They did not properly understand how metal sheared until all the liberty ships the US built for us to carry food for the UK snapped in half.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_ship

Comment

We didnt. The yanks did! Seen it on the tv!
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Bearing in mind that each V2 had about a 1 ton warhead & cost about £12k (1945).

A V1 had about a 1 ton warhead & cost about £100(1945)...
                My mum told me stories of having V1 flying parallel to her on a train into London. Many people told me when I was young that as a weapon of terror the V1 was far more effective that the V2.

If you want to upset the septics - tell 'em that the Russians won the war.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  My mum told me stories of having V1 flying parallel to her on a train into London. Many people told me when I was young that as a weapon of terror the V1 was far more effective that the V2.

If you want to upset the septics - tell 'em that the Russians won the war.
                  ...or tell them it actually started in 1939, not 1941
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

We cheated

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X