• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hassle from the Inland Revenue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hassle from the Inland Revenue

Does this just happen to me?

I'm kind of used to getting letters from the Inland Revenue telling me I owe them money but they seem to have upped the ante of late

Over the last few weeks I've had 3 demands for payments I have already paid or do not owe, including one from those lovely people at the VAT
    threatening me with the bailiffs. I've paid all my VAT and PAYE to date but, through their bungling incompetence, they seem to have
    no record of my payments so I have to spend a fortune on phone calls from Spain to my bank to get all the necessary info to put myself in the clear (online statements only go back 1 month with Barclays).
    In fact, I've already done this twice now regarding just one VAT payment. As well as a PAYE demand I've also had one demanding corporation tax that I paid in January - it's driving me nuts

The cynic in me says that it's not incompetence at all, more like they purposely making everything as awkward as possible
    in order to dissuade people from running their own companies

Sorry.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I was a bit late in paying my Corporation Tax, just down to laziness "I'll pay it tomorrow".

They were phoning me and were not slow in getting a "you are going to court" letter to me, thankfully the day after I had paid it.

They seem to be much more aggressive this year in chasing up payments.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        I was a bit late in paying my Corporation Tax, just down to laziness "I'll pay it tomorrow".

They were phoning me and were not slow in getting a "you are going to court" letter to me, thankfully the day after I had paid it.

They seem to be much more aggressive this year in chasing up payments.
        Maybe due to the fact that Gordon's screwed the economy, they need as much in as quickly as possible?

Comment

Well, in my case, payments that I've already made or do not owe

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
            Well, in my case, payments that I've already made or do not owe
            Have you checked the Unique ID numbers?
            I have just had a load of hassle because of duplicate accounts.
            Thank goodness for decent accountants. Cheers Darren (Uptons).
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              Have you checked the Unique ID numbers?
              I have just had a load of hassle because of duplicate accounts.
              Thank goodness for decent accountants. Cheers Darren (Uptons).
              When I paid my PAYE online there were 2 available accounts to pay it into, both Inland Revenue at Shipley. I paid into the one that my accountant thought was the correct one. Even if I'd paid into the wrong one, you'd still think the left hand would know what the right hand was doing.

Comment

I put in a wrong ref number a couple of years ago and they had to go and 'find' the money.

Comment

My accountant had informed me that HM Customs & Revenue had been instructed to come down hard on people. No more Mr Nice guy.

Something to do with the fact the government is skint having leant out all their money to fat cat bankers.

So of course.... They come after us.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    My accountant had informed me that HM Customs & Revenue had been instructed to come down hard on people. No more Mr Nice guy.

Something to do with the fact the government is skint having leant out all their money to fat cat bankers.

So of course.... They come after us.

Meanwhile, if you are after a tax refund it takes about 12 weeks before they start looking at your letter, according to the weekend press.

Comment

Working...
                    X