PDA

View Full Version : Hassle from the Inland Revenue

wurzel
8th June 2009, 09:59
Does this just happen to me?

I'm kind of used to getting letters from the Inland Revenue telling me I owe them money but they seem to have upped the ante of late

Over the last few weeks I've had 3 demands for payments I have already paid or do not owe, including one from those lovely people at the VAT
threatening me with the bailiffs. I've paid all my VAT and PAYE to date but, through their bungling incompetence, they seem to have
no record of my payments so I have to spend a fortune on phone calls from Spain to my bank to get all the necessary info to put myself in the clear (online statements only go back 1 month with Barclays).
In fact, I've already done this twice now regarding just one VAT payment. As well as a PAYE demand I've also had one demanding corporation tax that I paid in January - it's driving me nuts :tantrum:

The cynic in me says that it's not incompetence at all, more like they purposely making everything as awkward as possible
in order to dissuade people from running their own companies

HairyArsedBloke
8th June 2009, 10:03
:rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin:

Sorry. :laugh

minestrone
8th June 2009, 10:06
I was a bit late in paying my Corporation Tax, just down to laziness "I'll pay it tomorrow".

They were phoning me and were not slow in getting a "you are going to court" letter to me, thankfully the day after I had paid it.

They seem to be much more aggressive this year in chasing up payments.

Menelaus
8th June 2009, 10:09
I was a bit late in paying my Corporation Tax, just down to laziness "I'll pay it tomorrow".

They were phoning me and were not slow in getting a "you are going to court" letter to me, thankfully the day after I had paid it.

They seem to be much more aggressive this year in chasing up payments.

Maybe due to the fact that Gordon's screwed the economy, they need as much in as quickly as possible?

wurzel
8th June 2009, 10:10
Well, in my case, payments that I've already made or do not owe

The Lone Gunman
8th June 2009, 10:12
Well, in my case, payments that I've already made or do not oweHave you checked the Unique ID numbers?
I have just had a load of hassle because of duplicate accounts.
Thank goodness for decent accountants. Cheers Darren (Uptons).

wurzel
8th June 2009, 10:17
Have you checked the Unique ID numbers?
I have just had a load of hassle because of duplicate accounts.
Thank goodness for decent accountants. Cheers Darren (Uptons).

When I paid my PAYE online there were 2 available accounts to pay it into, both Inland Revenue at Shipley. I paid into the one that my accountant thought was the correct one. Even if I'd paid into the wrong one, you'd still think the left hand would know what the right hand was doing.

minestrone
8th June 2009, 10:42
I put in a wrong ref number a couple of years ago and they had to go and 'find' the money.

MarillionFan
8th June 2009, 10:44
My accountant had informed me that HM Customs & Revenue had been instructed to come down hard on people. No more Mr Nice guy.

Something to do with the fact the government is skint having leant out all their money to fat cat bankers.

So of course.... They come after us.

Cyberman
8th June 2009, 12:54
My accountant had informed me that HM Customs & Revenue had been instructed to come down hard on people. No more Mr Nice guy.

Something to do with the fact the government is skint having leant out all their money to fat cat bankers.

So of course.... They come after us.

Meanwhile, if you are after a tax refund it takes about 12 weeks before they start looking at your letter, according to the weekend press. :laugh

ace00
8th June 2009, 12:56
Not just you, I photocopy every letter, every cheque. More often than not I then have to provide this as evidence to show the muppets I have paid. It's just major incompetence.

Moscow Mule
8th June 2009, 13:50
Don't bother writing letters trying to sort it out. Just phone them.

TykeMerc
8th June 2009, 15:10
I've been "discussing" a demand that they sent me 6 weeks ago that apparently originates from a VAT inspection some 8 1/2 years prior to the demand, the fact that the inspection turned up no outstanding amount seems to have totally escaped them though.
I had a similar "discussion" about exactly the same matter about 15 months ago which concluded with them failing to reply to my last letter. They've admitted in a recent call that they received my letter and have no idea why they didn't respond.
They've also accepted that due to the very large elapsed time between the investigation and now that It's well outside the time that I should even retain records.

I've told them that I'm happy to receive further calls from them about the matter as I will be invoicing them £1k an hour (min charge 1 hour) for any time spent discussing the matter further, they've not called since

They really are impressively incompetent at times.

The Lone Gunman
8th June 2009, 15:44
I've been "discussing" a demand that they sent me 6 weeks ago that apparently originates from a VAT inspection some 8 1/2 years prior to the demand, the fact that the inspection turned up no outstanding amount seems to have totally escaped them though.
I had a similar "discussion" about exactly the same matter about 15 months ago which concluded with them failing to reply to my last letter. They've admitted in a recent call that they received my letter and have no idea why they didn't respond.
They've also accepted that due to the very large elapsed time between the investigation and now that It's well outside the time that I should even retain records.

I've told them that I'm happy to receive further calls from them about the matter as I will be invoicing them £1k an hour (min charge 1 hour) for any time spent discussing the matter further, they've not called since

They really are impressively incompetent at times.You might have told them you will be invoicing, but you wont be getting paid.

Churchill
8th June 2009, 15:54
They're currently taking five weeks to process a tax return. They're holding on to money too!

Bastards!

Platypus
8th June 2009, 16:25
I will be invoicing them £1k an hour (min charge 1 hour) for any time spent discussing the matter further

Yeah, I bet they were really scared :rolleyes:

GardenGirl
8th June 2009, 16:35
I had this with them over PAYE recently, it took 1 phone call to sort out. All I had to do was tell them exactly how much I paid and when and then it was sorted - oh and it turned out that they owed me money which I had the choice of crediting this year or receiving a cheque (I took the credit it was easier than waiting for a cheque)

BrilloPad
8th June 2009, 18:27
Its only fair.

HairyArsedBloke
8th June 2009, 19:16
Sorry again, but ...
:rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

Hector: :moon: :wave:

TykeMerc
8th June 2009, 19:36
Yeah, I bet they were really scared :rolleyes:

Oh I don't expect the invoices to be paid, but it's provided some entertainment.

They've stopped calling me :D

Mind you after I proved with their own records that they didn't bother to even respond to my letter of over a year ago and it was now long past the point where records have to be retained I think that the "case officer" was thoroughly embarassed and out of her depth. I still haven't had a response to that letter either.

I told them over a year ago that I wasn't aware of owing them a penny and if they could provide me with conclusive proof that I owed anything I would pay it, that's the gist of the letter that never got an answer.