• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mandelson tells lies, shock horror

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandelson tells lies, shock horror

"I think what’s interesting about these results is Labour voters have not switched en masse to the Conservatives, Liberal Democrats or other parties," said Lord Mandelson.

"In the main, what they seem to be doing is registering a protest by withholding their vote and staying at home. I can understand why they’re doing this. They are furious about the MPs’ expenses and allowances at Westminster and, frankly, they’re furious, too, about what they see as disunity amongst Labour MPs at Westminster."
    So there you go. Firstly, other parties' gains were illusory. Secondly, nobody was troubled by the economy, the crumbling of privacy and civil rights, the full-on European Union, the high taxes or the pensions collapse. It was all anger about MPs' expenses, and about disunity amongst Labour MPs at Westminster.

Are we furious about Labour MPs' disunity, Mandy? I don't think so. I think we're delighted about it.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    So there you go. Firstly, other parties' gains were illusory. Secondly, nobody was troubled by the economy, the crumbling of privacy and civil rights, the full-on European Union, the high taxes or the pensions collapse. It was all anger about MPs' expenses, and about disunity amongst Labour MPs at Westminster.

Are we furious about Labour MPs' disunity, Mandy? I don't think so. I think we're delighted about it.
    No! Mandelson lying?

Unheard of.

Comment

I think UKIP coming second suggests voters are a bit p1ssed off with Brown pushing the Lisbon treaty through, the EU in general, and Mandelson himself. But you wouldn't expect Mr Gravy Train Mandelson to admit as much, would you.

Comment

And Brown ignoring the point and spinning his tales:

What would the public think of us if ever we walked away from them at a time of need? We are sticking with them.
        No Gordon, we are walking away from you. What we need is not you sticking to us like a turd on the shoe.

Comment

Not exactly lies is it. It is what has become normal in modern ploitics. They are putting their own spin on the figures. It always has to positive.
          It seems they are incapable of accepting the truth.

The Tories did not increase their voter share by much and the Lib Dems also lost share. His interpretation that voters have withheld their vote from Labour and/or given it to a minor party is valid.

His interpretation of the reason is as valid as the next. From the few members of the public asked on the TV those do seem to be the main reasons. I would assume that NL have canvased more than one or two opinions. It depends who they asked.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
            Not exactly lies is it. It is what has become normal in modern ploitics. They are putting their own spin on the figures. It always has to positive.
            It seems they are incapable of accepting the truth.
            If there ever was a contradiction in terms within a single paragraph...
            You have first chosen to ignore and then decided to define the definition of a lie. It's not rocket science - they're all in cuckoo land.
            Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

I believe it is true. overall voter turnout was lower. Many parties share increased eventhough their actual number of votes was less than 2004.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Turnout

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                I believe it is true. overall voter turnout was lower. Many parties share increased eventhough their actual number of votes was less than 2004.
                That is maybe becuase all centre right/left parties have pretty much the same agenda of b0ll0x, obfustication and people know that given time they too will be exposed to be corrupt and incompetent. "Why vote they are all the same anyway, and anyway we are increasingly being controlled by Brussells, so WGAF".

The only party that has a clear message and clearly and coherently represents the interests of the people who vote for it are the BNP, which is unfortunate, but true... proved by the fact that they actually won some seats, although in fairness I would have to add, that their gains where probably also down to the apathy of centrist voters.
                There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
                  That is maybe becuase all centre right/left parties have pretty much the same agenda of b0ll0x, obfustication and people know that given time they too will be exposed to be corrupt and incompetent. "Why vote they are all the same anyway, and anyway we are increasingly being controlled by Brussells, so WGAF".

The only party that has a clear message and clearly and coherently represents the interests of the people who vote for it are the BNP, which is unfortunate, but true... proved by the fact that they actually won some seats, although in fairness I would have to add, that their gains where probably also down to the apathy of centrist voters.
                  The BNP actualy polled less votes this time than they did in 2004.
                  They made gains because the number who did vote constituted a bigger share of those who turned out.
                  There is no rise in the popularity of this party. I exopect the electorate will not make the same mistake twice. There is another alternative: The two seats they gained could legitimise them and lead to others not being so reticent about voting for them.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Labour support fell by 12% in Wales and the Tories took control for the first time since 1918. The writing is on the wall.

Comment

Working...
                    X