• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has something changed in the last week?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has something changed in the last week?

Been benched for a couple of months with only a couple of Interviews then Friday I get 4 interviews and today another two. Are jobs like buses?

Now I'm in an awkward situation because one of the companies found out I had other interviews and brought me in for an informal chat (the real interview still has to take place) basically they have said from our chat and my CV they think I'll get the job but they have to go through the official process of sign off first (should be about a week) I think I may have a job offer based on the interview I had this morning but with the best will in the world I don't think I could stall answering an offer for a week. Should I forget the informal chat job (which is the best job by far out of all six with the best money) and just go with any real offers

Originally posted by GardenGirl View Post
    Been benched for a couple of months with only a couple of Interviews then Friday I get 4 interviews and today another two. Are jobs like buses?

Now I'm in an awkward situation because one of the companies found out I had other interviews and brought me in for an informal chat (the real interview still has to take place) basically they have said from our chat and my CV they think I'll get the job but they have to go through the official process of sign off first (should be about a week) I think I may have a job offer based on the interview I had this morning but with the best will in the world I don't think I could stall answering an offer for a week. Should I forget the informal chat job (which is the best job by far out of all six with the best money) and just go with any real offers
    Keep talking to everyone until you have a signed contract.

Comment

Tell them to walk the walk. If they really want you they can just produce the paperwork quickly.
      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
        Keep talking to everyone until you have a signed contract.
        WHS and a week is nothing to wait out, I'm sure you could manage that. In fact I would actually be honest to all parties involved and say that you have a number of interviews and wish to make the best decision once you have all available information.

After all, your informal chat only came about because they found out that you were in demand - so it worked to your benefit as well as theirs. Just tell them to hurry up and don't trust their "offer" until you have a contract.

Comment

In this environment - if it aint on paper it aint worth getting excited over.

Go and play it all to your advantage but just make sure you have it in writing

Comment

From an economic theory perspectrive if all agents (you, the pimps, the clientcos) have equal information (information symmetry) then there's a level playing field and a type of market equilibrium.

Pragmatically speaking, you want to make the market as unlevel as possible in your favour so playing one of against the other, unpalatable from an ethical perspective as it may be, might be the way forward.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
              WHS and a week is nothing to wait out, I'm sure you could manage that. In fact I would actually be honest to all parties involved and say that you have a number of interviews and wish to make the best decision once you have all available information.

After all, your informal chat only came about because they found out that you were in demand - so it worked to your benefit as well as theirs. Just tell them to hurry up and don't trust their "offer" until you have a contract.
              Predictably I got the job (I just knew with that one) but they want an answer by 3pm because its to start tomorrow. I've tried the stall tactics and said I have a couple of other interviews that I'm interested in having the facts on as well but they aren't budging (according to the pimp) but considering they other applicants apparently weren't up to the job surely they would have to re-advertise if I say no so I think they should be able to wait, what do you guys think?

Comment

Predictably I got the job (I just knew with that one) but they want an answer by 3pm because its to start tomorrow. I've tried the stall tactics and said I have a couple of other interviews that I'm interested in having the facts on as well but they aren't budging (according to the pimp) but considering they other applicants apparently weren't up to the job surely they would have to re-advertise if I say no so I think they should be able to wait, what do you guys think?
                What's the prospective start date on the others and is the one offered the best for you in terms of rate / duration etc?

I'd say to offer them that you'll have an answer for them by 1600 today and spend the time ringing the others to get an indicative answer.

Well done on the new gig(s) btw!

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                  What's the prospective start date on the others and is the one offered the best for you in terms of rate / duration etc?

I'd say to offer them that you'll have an answer for them by 1600 today and spend the time ringing the others to get an indicative answer.

Well done on the new gig(s) btw!
                  Rate of pay is rubbish less than half my last gig. Major off put is that they neglected to mention I would have to spend alot of time at another site (non-commutable) but can't be specific on how much could be weeks could months could be a couple of days and for the rate of pay it isn't worth it, it fits in my no accommodation just about survive on rate. I've been ringing the other jobs to get get more answers on length etc. Start date is tomorrow contract is 1 year plus.

Not sure if it would be IR35 compliant either but with at least one of the others I am.

Comment

Rate of pay is rubbish less than half my last gig. Major off put is that they neglected to mention I would have to spend alot of time at another site (non-commutable) but can't be specific on how much could be weeks could months could be a couple of days and for the rate of pay it isn't worth it, it fits in my no accommodation just about survive on rate. I've been ringing the other jobs to get get more answers on length etc. Start date is tomorrow contract is 1 year plus.

Not sure if it would be IR35 compliant either but with at least one of the others I am.
                    Have you reneg'd the rate on tomorrows gig? It's a difficult situation - you don't want to lose out on the possibility of real actual £££ but at the same time don't want to lose out either. Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Comment

Working...
                    X