• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can we learn from the tube drivers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we learn from the tube drivers?

I know it's 'local news' only affecting London but I see the tube drivers are again set to disrupt thousands trying to get to Wembley tomorrow night to see England's World Cup qualifier against Andorra. Didn't we all say putting the new Wembley in the same place as the old Wembley was stupid but that's another debate.

Oh, before I go further heres the traditional CUK link at times such as this.

What I want to know is what sort of package these guys are on? They seem to go on strike twice a year and, as they can throw London into chaos, usually seem to get what they want.

I think we should learn from this. IT unions should be formed to paralyse business and the public sector at the merest hint of offshoring or ICTs.

You don't see loads of visa being issued to bring over cheapy resources from overseas to staff and drive tube trains do you? Hmm? Lesson to be learnt.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

I understand it is one of the hardest jobs to get into because no qualifications are required so there is a long list of people wanting the job.

I was on a course with an IT bod from Transport For London six years ago (I was a permie then) he told me that the drivers got 30K and six weeks holiday a year.

He added that at the time the union was pushing to get the holiday allowance increased to seven weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
      I understand it is one of the hardest jobs to get into because no qualifications are required so there is a long list of people wanting the job.

I was on a course with an IT bod from Transport For London six years ago (I was a permie then) he told me that the drivers got 30K and six weeks holiday a year.

He added that at the time the union was pushing to get the holiday allowance increased to seven weeks.
      I'd get sick of people throwing themselves in front of the train.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        leaves
        You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Leaves don't throw themselves under the train - they fall. Also, they tend to be a bit thin on the ground in the underground! I'd be more concerned with people bringing on their exploding backpacks!
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
            Leaves don't throw themselves under the train - they fall. Also, they tend to be a bit thin on the ground in the underground! I'd be more concerned with people bringing on their exploding backpacks!
            Those would be abominable working conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              A lot of underground trains run overground my learned friend, The throwing themselves was figurative not literal!

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                I know it's 'local news' only affecting London but I see the tube drivers are again set to disrupt thousands trying to get to Wembley tomorrow night to see England's World Cup qualifier against Andorra. Didn't we all say putting the new Wembley in the same place as the old Wembley was stupid but that's another debate.

Oh, before I go further heres the traditional CUK link at times such as this.

What I want to know is what sort of package these guys are on? They seem to go on strike twice a year and, as they can throw London into chaos, usually seem to get what they want.

I think we should learn from this. IT unions should be formed to paralyse business and the public sector at the merest hint of offshoring or ICTs.

You don't see loads of visa being issued to bring over cheapy resources from overseas to staff and drive tube trains do you? Hmm? Lesson to be learnt.
                And if we tried?

1. other IT contractors would step in.
                2. it would threaten business and government, and that couldn't be allowed: resources would be brought in to protect the economy.

I might add that that doesn't happen when Tube drivers go on strike, because that only threatens the convenience of the public.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  That doesn't seem to happen so much these days.

Besides, that's worth several months off for the trauma.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    And if we tried?

1. other IT contractors would step in.
                    2. it would threaten business and government, and that couldn't be allowed: resources would be brought in to protect the economy.

I might add that that doesn't happen when Tube drivers go on strike, because that only threatens the convenience of the public.
                    Can we get in some new tube drivers from India at a reduced rate?

Comment

Working...
                    X