• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Made redundant by SMS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made redundant by SMS

A chap at the rugby club works for one of the big insultancy companies here in Holland. Yesterday 2000 people received instructions to go home and wait for a phone call to find out whether they’d be among the 700 people to be made redundant. At 19h he received an SMS telling him he was fired.

Is this what permiedoom has come to? What kind of lowlife belly crawling scum sacks people by SMS? What happened to people who have the backbone to tell someone to their face that they’ve lost their job? OK, so telling 700 people they’re fired might be a logistical issue, but if you have 70 managerial staff they could each tell 10 people in a decent and dignified fashion. A bit of basic decency please.

Bloody disgusting. I am, however, always amazed that people actually choose to work for such companies.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Bloody disgusting. I am, however, always amazed that people actually choose to work for such companies.
    I always ask in the interview if I am likely to be canned by sms as it's a deal-breaker for me.

Comment

A chap at the rugby club works for one of the big insultancy companies here in Holland. Yesterday 2000 people received instructions to go home and wait for a phone call to find out whether they’d be among the 700 people to be made redundant. At 19h he received an SMS telling him he was fired.

Is this what permiedoom has come to? What kind of lowlife belly crawling scum sacks people by SMS? What happened to people who have the backbone to tell someone to their face that they’ve lost their job? OK, so telling 700 people they’re fired might be a logistical issue, but if you have 70 managerial staff they could each tell 10 people in a decent and dignified fashion. A bit of basic decency please.

Happened in Manchester a few years ago too - with one of the insurance companies IIRC... shocking!
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

They did that here last year in some big place, can't remember where though.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
          Happened in Manchester a few years ago too - with one of the insurance companies IIRC... shocking!
          Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          They did that here last year in some big place, can't remember where though.
          I suppose the reasoning now is 'well everyone else is doing it so we can too'.
          Management, leadership, my
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It is disgusting. My experiences of permies and managers has plumbed new depths of late. The other contractors here are bound by the unwritten code of conduct we contractors all subscribe to.

Modern management is more akin to simple administrative duties. There is no backbone any more, and I don't expect it tbh. The contempt here shown to your friend is truly shocking. I guess you have to try and believe in Karma, and hope that your friend gets a new better paid gig, and the scumbags that did this to him get their just deserts in due course.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

There is a precedent - 2003

"The UK's largest personal injury claims firm, Accident Group, has sacked 2,400 people - many by text message - after its parent company Amulet Group announced on Friday that it would go into administration. Staff with company mobile phones received a series of text messages, warning them that salaries would not be paid. Manchester-based Amulet Group said its subsidiary had to cease trading because it could not sustain its "continual battles with the insurance industry" and after "the sudden failure of a banking partner to support the company"."

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                The Accident Group. All the staff got shafted whilst the former Chief Exec had skimmed all the cash off and buggered off to Spain. A couple of years later a tree jumped out in front of his car and killed him so it shows some sort of natural justice exists in this world.
                Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

My dad got made redundant by fax once.

The bloke that did it was declared in solvent a while later.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                    The Accident Group. All the staff got shafted whilst the former Chief Exec had skimmed all the cash off and buggered off to Spain. A couple of years later a tree jumped out in front of his car and killed him so it shows some sort of natural justice exists in this world.
                    Is there an echo in this cave?

Comment

Working...
                    X