• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Treated like a permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treated like a permie

Granted, in these economic times one can't afford to be too fussy, but it really grates when a company insists on treating contractors like permies.

In my roles I usually use my own Ltd. company email address for correspondence and am treated as an external consultant - even bringing in resource myself on occasion and scheduling my time to deliver what I am being paid for with reasonable flexibility.

My current role however is hilarious - I have to use their email system with signature, have 'weekly 1:1 catch ups', will invariably be asked to take part in their '360 degree review' process soon, had to take a personality test, am expected to go to the pub for social drinks etc. etc. (which I have declined each time so far) and have to endure the ridiculous motivational crap plastered everywhere (give someone a thumbs-up for a job well done) ...

One of the reasons I became a contractor is because I like to work and manage myself and not be part of a mindless collective, I think from now on I will invest in some marketing and start finding contracts without agents where I can.

How do you all deal with this tulipe? At the moment I motivate myself by laughing at these ridiculous processes (not out loud) and counting the cash each day.

P.S. Doubly grating as a cushy contract within a cool design agency for a German car manufacturer was offered to me after I accepted this contract
    You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
    Granted, in these economic times one can't afford to be too fussy, but it really grates when a company insists on treating contractors like permies.

In my roles I usually use my own Ltd. company email address for correspondence and am treated as an external consultant - even bringing in resource myself on occasion and scheduling my time to deliver what I am being paid for with reasonable flexibility.

My current role however is hilarious - I have to use their email system with signature, have 'weekly 1:1 catch ups', will invariably be asked to take part in their '360 degree review' process soon, had to take a personality test, am expected to go to the pub for social drinks etc. etc. (which I have declined each time so far) and have to endure the ridiculous motivational crap plastered everywhere (give someone a thumbs-up for a job well done) ...

One of the reasons I became a contractor is because I like to work and manage myself and not be part of a mindless collective, I think from now on I will invest in some marketing and start finding contracts without agents where I can.

How do you all deal with this tulipe? At the moment I motivate myself by laughing at these ridiculous processes (not out loud) and counting the cash each day.

P.S. Doubly grating as a cushy contract within a cool design agency for a German car manufacturer was offered to me after I accepted this contract
    Predictably expect the SasGuru sock puppet to come and crap all over this thread. He is an arse of biblical proportions. Quicky followed by his gimp Dim Prawn.

I sympathise mate. Same here. I have tried explaining to them that the more they treat my like a permie the worse it is for both them and my company. I have conceded that it is better to roll with the punches. If they want to pay you to do 1 to 1s rather than do what you are good at then more fool them. Try and smile inwardly and possibly visit trap 3 and count the cash your company just made while your primary consultant was taking a dump.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Predictably expect the SasGuru sock puppet to come and crap all over this thread. He is an arse of biblical proportions. Quicky followed by his gimp Dim Prawn.

I sympathise mate. Same here. I have tried explaining to them that the more they treat my like a permie the worse it is for both them and my company. I have conceded that it is better to roll with the punches. If they want to pay you to do 1 to 1s rather than do what you are good at then more fool them. Try and smile inwardly and possibly visit trap 3 and count the cash your company just made while your primary consultant was taking a dump.
      If only we had a double thumbs up smilie

Comment

Made me laugh

Comment

am expected to go to the pub for social drinks etc. etc. (which I have declined each time so far)
          You misserable twunt.
          The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Write an email to the team leader, management HR and your agent.
            State your position as a contractor. Inform them that you ffel you are being used more as an employee in all but name and you would like your status and expected practices confirmed.
            Point out that an IR35 caught contract is likely to be 35%-45% higher rate and that there is the possibility of associated employment law being applicable.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              Write an email to the team leader, management HR and your agent.
              State your position as a contractor. Inform them that you ffel you are being used more as an employee in all but name and you would like your status and expected practices confirmed.
              Point out that an IR35 caught contract is likely to be 35%-45% higher rate and that there is the possibility of associated employment law being applicable.
              They'd would tell him that the rate has already been agreed and it's his problem Shirley?
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

They'd would tell him that the rate has already been agreed and it's his problem Shirley?
                If the rate has already been agreed then so have all the other terms. IR35 status is dependant on working practice, not what the contract says. If the practice doesnt match the contract then we have every right to change our end, or declare it as a sham and walk away.
                I am still waiting for the PCG to follow up lost IR35 case with a fraud charge against the client and agent when they stand up in court and state that the contract delivered was a sham.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                  If the rate has already been agreed then so have all the other terms. IR35 status is dependant on working practice, not what the contract says. If the practice doesnt match the contract then we have every right to change our end, or declare it as a sham and walk away.
                  I am still waiting for the PCG to follow up lost IR35 case with a fraud charge against the client and agent when they stand up in court and state that the contract delivered was a sham.
                  I understand your point, it's just with the market as it is, the luxury of walking away seems to have eroded somewhat. Guess I'll just grimace and bear it - and line up another contract in the background.
                  You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

I understand your point, it's just with the market as it is, the luxury of walking away seems to have eroded somewhat. Guess I'll just grimace and bear it - and line up another contract in the background.
                    You do not have to walk away, but a letter from them stating intent at least gives you something to base the decision on. You might get lucky. HR and management might agree with you and make sure your working practices meet your expectations.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Working...
                    X