• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting paid to do nothing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting paid to do nothing

Here I sit, one month into a three month contract getting paid to do nothing. PM is too busy to give me any work and I have given up asking. Anyone got any ideas to make time go faster? Anyone else working for large corporations surrounded by hundreds of busy people thinking there must be more to life than this?

Originally posted by singhr View Post
    Here I sit, one month into a three month contract getting paid to do nothing. PM is too busy to give me any work and I have given up asking. Anyone got any ideas to make time go faster? Anyone else working for large corporations surrounded by hundreds of busy people thinking there must be more to life than this?
    http://forums.contractoruk.com

HTH
    You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Join test please delete?

You will need to reach 10 posts though before you can post there.

Comment

I have not much to do at the moment but I work from home.

Works generally comes in waves for me. The sea is quiet at the moment.

I've been going to the gym at lunchtime, reading and doing a bit of this and that.

Comment

Welcome!

You are not alone. If you need any reassurance you should read David Bolchover's 'The Living Dead: Switched Off, Zoned Out - The Shocking Truth About Office Life'

There are millions like you, and some of them pass their time posting on CUK.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

In this contract I have taught myself:

NHibernate
            MVC
            WCF
            IOC

I usually use online books / pdf so that it looks like I am doing something on the computer rather than sitting there reading a book.

Got to be the best thing in the world, being paid to learn new stuff.

ClientCo is happy with this, as they consider me an insurance policy at the moment. To be called upon when there is a problem.
            Originally posted by cailin maith
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

You are Peter Mandelson and I claim my free £200K in expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                You are Peter Mandelson and I claim my free £200K in expenses.
                You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

OMG it's a syndrome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boreout

Boreout strategies include:

Stretch your work strategy: This involves drawing out tasks so they take much longer than necessary. For example, if an employee's sole assignment during a work week is a report that takes three work days, the employee will "stretch" this three days of work over the entire work week. Stretching strategies vary from employee to employee. Some employees may do the entire report in the first three days, and then spend the remaining days surfing the Internet, planning their holiday, browsing online shopping websites, sending personal e-mails, and so on (all the while ensuring that their workstation is filled with the evidence of "hard work", by having work documents ready to be switched-to on the screen). Alternatively, some employees may "stretch" the work over the entire work week by breaking up the process with a number of pauses to send personal e-mails, go outside for a cigarette, get a coffee, chat with friends in other parts of the company, or even go to the washroom for a 10 minute nap.

Comment

I go for option 2, bit of work, bit of play, bit of CUK
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X