• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

35,000 jobs taken by contractors from India

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

35,000 jobs taken by contractors from India

Salient snippets from a BBC news article:

An ex contractor at BT's Global Services Unit, said IT contractors laid off recently by BT, were told workers brought from India to the UK cost less.

He claimed the overseas workers working in the UK, received about half the rate for the job he was paid.

The contractor said he received £400 a day while the Indian staff would receive £220.

"We're looking at about 35,000 IT professionals coming into the UK frankly in a market that is not short of IT professionals in the incumbent workforce,".

(Her) comments were disputed by Keith Sharp, marketing director of NASSCOM, the body which represents companies such as Tech Mahindra.

"These are not permanent UK jobs. Where we have permanent UK jobs, our preference is to fill those with UK nationals," he told File on 4.

The company was looking to reduce the use of "expensive contractors".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8077579.stm

I swear that if I hear a permie use the term 'expensive contractor(s)' again I am going to stab them in the face with a biro...

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7K4Q-QM0UA

Comment

So here we are nearing the end of the first decade of the 21st century....

Job security is out of the window, so what is left, freelancing / consulting / contracting / self employment or the dole or stacking shelves in the supermarket (they can't outsource that!).

But on the other hand the govt policy and private sector pressure to reduce costs are slowly exporting the jobs abroad leaving those who have no job security with nothing and no pensions (final salary schemes slowly being pushed out) which will only serve to lengthen the dole queues, prolong the recession, reduce economic activity and eventually people will have to emigrate to make ends meet.

Maybe its govt policy as a means of getting house prices down?

I just wonder what is the point of getting an education, certainly not to make use of it in this land.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
        (Her) comments were disputed by Keith Sharp, marketing director of NASSCOM, the body which represents companies such as Tech Mahindra.

"These are not permanent UK jobs. Where we have permanent UK jobs, our preference is to fill those with UK nationals," he told File on 4.

The company was looking to reduce the use of "expensive contractors". [/I]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8077579.stm
        He has to say that, you can't get rid of permanent staff like that. Redundancy means that the job has disappeared or reduced in scope. No such issue for contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
          So here we are nearing the end of the first decade of the 21st century....

Job security is out of the window, so what is left, freelancing / consulting / contracting / self employment or the dole or stacking shelves in the supermarket (they can't outsource that!).

But on the other hand the govt policy and private sector pressure to reduce costs are slowly exporting the jobs abroad leaving those who have no job security with nothing and no pensions (final salary schemes slowly being pushed out) which will only serve to lengthen the dole queues, prolong the recession, reduce economic activity and eventually people will have to emigrate to make ends meet.

Maybe its govt policy as a means of getting house prices down?

I just wonder what is the point of getting an education, certainly not to make use of it in this land.
          Try doing something useful like teaching instead of posting crap on here.

HTH
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Try doing something useful like teaching instead of posting crap on here.

HTH

no that will be outsourced one day too!

Comment

PCG is "angered" by abuses of the immigration system causing contractors to lose out.

Makes a change from "welcoming" tax clampdowns. I should really worry if the PCG were ever to get "jolly cross".
              Cats are evil.

Comment

“PCG has been campaigning on this issue for many years and we are pleased the Government is listening. We have had a seat on the Migration Advisory Committee’s Stakeholder forum since its inception and we regularly make submissions to the MAC. As a body, it has great and positive potential to reform the system. Our recent evidence gathering campaign has shown that abuses of the system do take place and thus it urgently needs reform. Contractors are losing out, and in a recession, action needs to be taken to protect livelihoods”
                "listening" - WTF

"recent evidence gathering campaign has shown that abuses of the system do take place" - we all know that this has been going on for about ten years.

PCG are a load of S>>T

I am so glad that I am no longer a contractor.

However, in a way it's the best thing that ever happened to me. I formed a 'proper' business and took it offshore and now: Hector
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                X