10th June 2009, 10:44
Coming up for contract renewal

Must haves : wifi, modem, good mp3 player, oh and making phone calls

short list

Sony X1
Blackberry Bold
Nokia N96
iphone ??

Have tried looking online for reviews, but most seem to be written by 13 yr olds stating how cool the iphone is and how rubbish phone x, y, z is.

Any actual user experiences of any of the above (apart from the iphone - plenty around in the office)

Drewster
10th June 2009, 10:46
Coming up for contract renewal

Must haves : wifi, modem, good mp3 player, oh and making phone calls

short list

Sony X1
Blackberry Bold
Nokia N96
iphone ??

Have tried looking online for reviews, but most seem to be written by 13 yr olds stating how cool the iphone is and how rubbish phone x, y, z is.

Any actual user experiences of any of the above (apart from the iphone - plenty around in the office)

Well to be honest I normally ask for money on contract renewal... but as times are hard I suppose "payment in kind" is an option.........

voodooflux
10th June 2009, 10:46
short list

Sony X1
Blackberry Bold
Nokia N96
iphone ??

Considered any of the current HTC devices (like the Touch Diamond2 (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/04/23/review_smartphone_htc_touch_diamond_2/)) or the new Palm Pre?

Moscow Mule
10th June 2009, 10:48
cnet has good solid reviews of most new kit.

Pickle2
10th June 2009, 11:07
nokia n97

Released this week.

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-n97#/main/landing

Mich the Tester
10th June 2009, 11:09
How about a retro phone (http://www.trait-dunion.net/retro-phone-handset/)?

Bear
10th June 2009, 11:27
How about a proper contractor's phone (http://www.vertu.com/in-en/#in-en_signature)?

realityhack
10th June 2009, 11:56
Hold out for the Palm Pre and the iPhone 3GS. I believe they may blow the competition out of the water.

I have the Blackberry Bold. I don't rate it. Forget the Storm, you'll be returning it to the store in a week.

oracleslave
10th June 2009, 11:57
I have the Blackberry Bold. I don't rate it.

Howcome?

Drewster
10th June 2009, 12:05
I have the Blackberry Bold. I don't rate it. Forget the Storm, you'll be returning it to the store in a week.

How come?

Except it doesn't match OPs spec of WiFi......

realityhack
10th June 2009, 12:43
Storm: Have you actually tried it? The text-input is maddening, all this drag-to-letter-then-push-whole-screen-hoping-you-didn't-accidentally-press-the-neighbouring-letter malarkey. Drives me even more insane than I already am. That, and the OS as a whole is flaky and unstable, and the camera is an absolute flipping nightmare.

Bold: Several experiences of having to quickly draft an email reply by trying to copy & paste one of the addresses in the thread. Autocorrect not behaving consistently, poor UI in contacts, having to back-out of a folder to go to the top of the folder etc etc. Not impressed with the UI designers. The only reason I have one is it's standard clienco issue.

eliquant
10th June 2009, 12:50
I'm getting the Nokia N97 unlimited HSDPA internet browsing on the fly for only £5 extra per month and the 900 minutes plus free landline calls option all for £45 / month. Would work out alot cheaper than my current rip off tarriff on an old Nokia with O2.

Jog On
10th June 2009, 12:55
Iphone gets a firmware upgrade this month

techno
10th June 2009, 13:10
Would anyone recommend the Google phone?

cailin maith
10th June 2009, 13:15
I've got the Blackberry curve - I love it - not had a problem with it at all. In fact, I don't know why I didn't get one before....

gingerjedi
10th June 2009, 13:20

There's not many about at the moment however there are quite a few manufacturers releasing Android OS phones over the coming months so wait and see if they're any good.

Nothing worse than signing up for 24 month contract if it turns out to be a dead duck, I think I must have been the one and only person to have bought a Philips mobile... what a POS that was.

Drewster
10th June 2009, 13:24
Storm: Have you actually tried it? The text-input is maddening, all this drag-to-letter-then-push-whole-screen-hoping-you-didn't-accidentally-press-the-neighbouring-letter malarkey. Drives me even more insane than I already am. That, and the OS as a whole is flaky and unstable, and the camera is an absolute flipping nightmare.

Fairy snuff............
I actually find the "keyboard" fairly OK in Landscape - only the odd typo where I can't see the letter I've picked cos of my thick chunky fingers...
In Portrait it is pretty tulip.....

I must confess though - I don't use the keyboard that much just point and pick/use favourites etc.
I never have got "into" texts much - I phone (but I am a real luddite).

Now I am (at least partially) "used" to it I prefer the "touch and then press" keystyle - but I can see how it would be a real PITA if you typed a lot.....

Mrs D has got a "Tocca Ultima" (or some such) and its touch screen types the wrong key before I have even decided which one I am trying to press.......
but Miss D III wants to steal my Storm...... and she txt GR8 000s evry dy
(maybe I should let here have it for a while - as market research).

NiceUpNorth
10th June 2009, 13:26
had the nokia 5800 for a few month now and realy like it!:banana:

scaramanga
10th June 2009, 14:09
I think I must have been the one and only person to have bought a Philips mobile... what a POS that was.

Was it true that Philips released the one and only PAYG phone ever to store the balance of the account on the phone rather than centrally? This was of course hacked allowing free calls forever. Something tells me it must have been an urban myth, but I distinctly remember hearing it a number of times.

foritisme
10th June 2009, 15:04
Reading cnet reviews, the X1 looks like the best all rounder for me. Saying that the client is talking about further budget cuts, so will be holding off for a while now :(

Don't think my other half would be too impressed with me sat on the bench with a shiny new toy !

Moscow Mule
10th June 2009, 15:36
I've got the Blackberry curve - I love it - not had a problem with it at all. In fact, I don't know why I didn't get one before....

Does the camera work?

Mine would crash *every* time I hit the camera button.

swamp
10th June 2009, 15:38

I've got the HTC Magic. It's OK. I got over the apps quite quickly as most of them are gimmicks. It lacks multitouch because Google didn't want to upset Apple, though I understand its hardware is capable of multitouch. Battery life is OK until you use the fancy features, whereupon it falls off a cliff. Looks good though, but the white case is now beige.

Now I have this phone for the next two years for better or worse... :frown

cailin maith
10th June 2009, 15:38
Does the camera work?

Mine would crash *every* time I hit the camera button.

Yep, it works grand - although to be fair I don't use it all that much.

Moscow Mule
10th June 2009, 15:42
Yep, it works grand - although to be fair I don't use it all that much.

No, me either - that's why I didn't bother getting it fixed. It was the second one I'd had though. First one died a death after about 8 months.

cailin maith
10th June 2009, 15:47
No, me either - that's why I didn't bother getting it fixed. It was the second one I'd had though. First one died a death after about 8 months.

:eek Yikes... I will be gutted if this goes wonky. I really like it.

Thanks for the heads up though MM!

Churchill
10th June 2009, 15:49
:eek Yikes... I will be gutted if this goes wonky. I really like it.

Thanks for the heads up though MM!

It bounces quite well too, doesn't it CM? :p :D :emb

cailin maith
10th June 2009, 15:49
It bounces quite well too, doesn't it CM? :p :D :emb

Erm...... yeah, it does which is a plus for me :o :o

Pogle
10th June 2009, 15:56
Erm...... yeah, it does which is a plus for me :o :o

I have a habit of throwing my phone at the nearest wall when I'm peed off - so it sounds perfect for moi :D

dozer
10th June 2009, 16:12
htc touch hd, no need to install the virus that is itunes, drag and drop avi's, no need to resize them.

Peoplesoft bloke
10th June 2009, 17:16
Last I knew the iPhone had no official modem support - has that changed?

voodooflux
10th June 2009, 18:06
htc touch hd, no need to install the virus that is itunes, drag and drop avi's, no need to resize them.

The Touch HD seems popular at the moment - three people in the office at ClientCo have one.