• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nokia working on 'self-charging' phone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nokia working on 'self-charging' phone

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...a-mobile-phone

A new research prototype phone from the company is able to power itself on nothing more than ambient radiowaves – the weak TV, radio and mobile phone signals that permanently surround us.
    What a great innovation! Applicable to lots more than mobile phones I expect.

This:
    Such wireless transfer of energy was first demonstrated by Nikola Tesla in 1893
    makes me wonder why this has been so long to arrive.

Comment

I wonder if this technology could be ‘up scaled’ to heat homes? We need something quick so we can tell the Russians to feck off.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        I wonder if this technology could be ‘up scaled’ to heat homes? We need something quick so we can tell the Russians to flip off.
        You'd need a massive aerial in your back garden.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

We need something quick so we can tell the Russians to flip off.
          Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          You'd need a massive aerial in your back garden.
          Couldn't you just phone them up and tell them?

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
            Couldn't you just phone them up and tell them?
            I was referring to their gas supply, they have the whole of Europe by the short and curlies.

They're building massive pipelines on the sea bed that will go direct into Germany and Italy so their immediate neighbours can't hold them to ransom.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
              This:
              makes me wonder why this has been so long to arrive.
              1893? He didn't have anything worth charging.

Comment

I was referring to their gas supply, they have the whole of Europe by the short and curlies.

They're building massive pipelines on the sea bed that will go direct into Germany and Italy so their immediate neighbours can't hold them to ransom.
                Good idea for the SNP!

Comment

So you want a mobile device that channels the ambient gasses from the air around us and then uses it to heat your water/house.... If you could just give me a few moments........................................

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                    So you want a mobile device that channels the ambient gasses from the air around us and then uses it to heat your water/house.... If you could just give me a few moments........................................
                    Its no good all my Engineering mates tell me I am "Farting in the Wind"

Boom-tish-BOOM!!

IGMC

Comment

Working...
                    X