• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doomed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doomed!

'Tiny chance' of planet collision
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8093005.stm

Astronomers calculate there is a tiny chance that Mars or Venus could collide with Earth - though it would not happen for at least a billion years.

The finding comes from simulations to show how orbits of planets might evolve billions of years into the future.

But the calculated chances of such events occurring are tiny.

Writing in the journal Nature, a team led by Jacques Laskar shows there is also a chance Mercury could strike Venus and merge into a larger planet.

Professor Laskar of the Paris Observatory and his colleagues also report that Mars might experience a close encounter with Jupiter - whose massive gravity could hurl the Red Planet out of our Solar System.

Astronomers had thought that the orbits of the planets were predictable. But 20 years ago, researchers showed that there were slight fluctuations in their paths.

Now, the team has shown how in a small proportion of cases these fluctuations can grow until after several million years, the orbits of the inner planets begin to overlap.

The researchers carried out more than 2,500 simulations. They found that in some, Mars and Venus collided with the Earth.

"It will be complete devastation," said Professor Laskar.

"The planet is coming in at 10km per second - 10 times the speed of a bullet - and of course Mars is much more massive than a bullet."

Professor Laskar's calculations also show that there is a possibility of Mercury crashing into Venus. But in that scenario, the Earth would not be significantly affected.

"If there is anyone around billions of years from now, they'd see a burst of light in the sky and the two planets would be merged," he said.

"The new planet would be a little bit bigger than Venus, and the Solar System would be a little more regular after the collision, but the Earth's orbit would not be affected."
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Do we need to panic yet?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Do we need to panic yet?
      I'd wait until the tabloids spice it up a bit.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
        I'd wait until the tabloids spice it up a bit.
        Good advice.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Yeah, 'Tiny' chance.

The bastards said that about economic crashes too.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I saw on Discovery the other day...

...that everything in the entire universe was created by collisions.

So if this does not get us, the next one will.....

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
              ...that everything in the entire universe was created by collisions.

So if this does not get us, the next one will.....

PZZ
              http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...90586726362812

HTH
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Does this mean that I shouldn't bother getting a lotto ticket for this Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  Do we need to panic yet?
                  Yes. You can never panic too early.

Comment

Working...
                  X