PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend decent free encryption utility?

Bwana
10th June 2009, 21:36
Hi All,

I'm looking for some freeware that will allow me to encrypt a folder (inc subfolders & files) into a self-decrypting exe file, so that all that would be needed to decrypt the file would be to type in the password. I would like it to be at least 128 bit encryption with a fairly up-to-date algorithm (not that I know anything much about encryption technology!). Can anyone recommend such a program (must work with Win XP & ideally with Vista also)? I searched on the web but there seems to be loads of them so I thought best to ask for opinions.

Cheers,
Bwana.

Troll
10th June 2009, 21:39
Pervert...

voodooflux
10th June 2009, 22:06
AxCrypt (http://www.axantum.com/) looks like it might do what you want.

BrilloPad
11th June 2009, 07:03
Why do you need it?

dinker
11th June 2009, 07:16
Everyone uses WinRAR so why not use that?

FSM with Cheddar
11th June 2009, 07:56
truecrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org/)

Its very good, and has the concept of plausible deniability, where someone can't even prove that you have something encrypted, let alone decrypt it.

It's also open source and free.

voodooflux
11th June 2009, 08:00
truecrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org/)

Its very good, and has the concept of plausible deniability, where someone can't even prove that you have something encrypted, let alone decrypt it.

It's also open source and free.

Truecrypt is excellent, but I'm not sure it supports the self-extracting archive feature that the OP is after?

FSM with Cheddar
11th June 2009, 08:04
Truecrypt is excellent, but I'm not sure it supports the self-extracting archive feature that the OP is after?

Oh yes, I skim read the original question. me bad :suicide:

Bwana
11th June 2009, 21:38
Thanks for the replies so far.

The purpose I have in mind is that I need to encrypt small documents containing IPR, so that I can email them and they can be downloaded and decrypted by the recipient if they know the key. For this purpose, the utility has to be able to create self-decrypting exe files and they would need to be small enough to email (ie less than 10 MB I guess).

Cheers,
Bwana

Bwana's debut as a recording artist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMhspj9stAY)

scotspine
11th June 2009, 21:41
Bwana's debut as a recording artist - don't give up your day job!

Bwana
11th June 2009, 21:44
Bwana's debut as a recording artist - don't give up your day job!

Hey - all I need is to come up with some new material (and eat another tin of baked beans!). ;-)

Now, lets get this thread back on-topic!

FSM with Cheddar
12th June 2009, 08:00
Thanks for the replies so far.

The purpose I have in mind is that I need to encrypt small documents containing IPR, so that I can email them and they can be downloaded and decrypted by the recipient if they know the key. For this purpose, the utility has to be able to create self-decrypting exe files and they would need to be small enough to email (ie less than 10 MB I guess).

Cheers,
Bwana

Bwana's debut as a recording artist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMhspj9stAY)

Watch out, a lot of corporate firewalls block exe attachments.

DaveB
12th June 2009, 08:48
Encrypt it and stick it in a self extracting zip file. Or just put it in a zip file with a strong password on it.

Bwana
12th June 2009, 12:55
Thanks for the tips.

Meant to say in my original post: Years ago I bought a pgp encryption product and it worked fine (on Windows 98 SE). However, when I try to install it on Windows XP it won't install. I first started looking for encryption software this week on amazon, and was surprised to find so few products available. Then I saw how many freeware encryption products there are, and guessed there must not be much of a market for the commercial stuff.

One thread I found on a web forum warned of some encryption products having a 'back door' which effectively makes them useless to me! This is something to look out for (although how would I know?). Another thing to look out for is that some products install spyware/nagware and keep trying to update itself. This is why I asked for recommendations rather than just diving in with the first freeware product I could find. Why is nothing ever simple?!

I suppose another option would be to write my own encryption software. It shouldn't be too difficult because .Net has built-in functionality to do encryption. Only thing is, I don't know how I could produce self-decrypting exe files, so I guess the recipient of the encrypted file would need a copy of the software in order to decrypt.

Cheers,

TimberWolf
12th June 2009, 13:03
I suppose another option would be to write my own encryption software. It shouldn't be too difficult because .Net has built-in functionality to do encryption. Only thing is, I don't know how I could produce self-decrypting exe files, so I guess the recipient of the encrypted file would need a copy of the software in order to decrypt.

Cheers,

Not if you stick to open standards and algorithms, OpenPGP, GnuPG and probably the still free version of PGP use these as well as e.g. Java's cryptographic libraries.

Amiga500
12th June 2009, 13:06
Hi All,

I'm looking for some freeware that will allow me to encrypt a folder (inc subfolders & files) into a self-decrypting exe file, so that all that would be needed to decrypt the file would be to type in the password. I would like it to be at least 128 bit encryption with a fairly up-to-date algorithm (not that I know anything much about encryption technology!). Can anyone recommend such a program (must work with Win XP & ideally with Vista also)? I searched on the web but there seems to be loads of them so I thought best to ask for opinions.

Cheers,
Bwana.

The only safe computer is one which is unplugged and dropped to the bottom of the ocean.

HTH