• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ken - How I would have stopped the Tube Strike

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ken - How I would have stopped the Tube Strike

There's an article in today's Times by Ken having a go at Boris.

Is it me, or were there quite a few tube strikes when Ken was the boss?

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    There's an article in today's Times by Ken having a go at Boris.

Is it me, or were there quite a few tube strikes when Ken was the boss?
    He's more bitter than a truck load of lemons. I can't work out if it's sad or annoying. Why can't he just give it up?

Edit: And Bob Crow would still be a greedy ****, whoever was mayor.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Ken gave the RMT exactly what they wanted for 8 years straight - who is he to give out advice?!

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        He's more bitter than a truck load of lemons. I can't work out if it's sad or annoying. Why can't he just give it up?
        I don't understand it either.

He finally got the job that he probably deserved since his time back in the GLC days.

He did it for two terms and two terms should be the limit for any elected official with executive powers, lest any corruptive influences set in.

Now he should shut up.

EDIT: I haven't observed much difference on a day to day basis with Boris in charge as compared to Ken, but then I am not one to rely on public services so I probably wouldn't.
        Last edited by sweetandsour; 11 June 2009, 07:43.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
          I don't understand it either.

...two terms should be the limit for any elected official with executive powers, lest any corruptive influences set in.
          Why put limits on democracy becuase you THINK more than two terms MAY lead to corruption. Thatcher had three terms no? Yet even the lefties would not say she was corrupt.

If I want to vote for someone more than twice why should my democratic rights be walked all over just becuase you THINK there MAY be a chance that someone MAY become corrupted if they are elected more than twice.

Also in the states where they have this limit all you get is one spinner after another. And in their final term they do what they like as after all they now have nothing to lose. If they have an election to lose then they would have to respond. As they have something to lose.

I reject your wishy washy liberal idea that two terms somehow helps democracy by limiting my right to vote more than twice for someone.

Comment

<rantmode=ON>

Given that I waited 40minutes for a packed bus full of the lemmings of society at Paddington station last night on the way home and then spent 45 minutes getting from Paddington to Charing Cross, I was ready to kill Bob Bloody Crow.

<rantmode=OFF>

Comment

Originally posted by LazyFan View Post
              <snip> .
              You do understand the difference between somebody being elected to Parliament and somebody being elected with "Executive powers"?
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

<snip>Also in the states where they have this limit all you get is one spinner after another. And in their final term they do what they like as after all they now have nothing to lose. If they have an election to lose then they would have to respond. As they have something to lose.
                History is not my strongpoint, but I think that you will find that the two terms rule was introduced in the USA after FDR was elected four times and the country decided that that should never happen again.

I reject your wishy washy liberal idea that two terms somehow helps democracy by limiting my right to vote more than twice for someone.
                Liberal? I don't think so. I have a very low opinion of people and think that it is unwise to give someone too much power - even if they start with good intentions, they won't have them at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                  <rantmode=ON>

Given that I waited 40minutes for a packed bus full of the lemmings of society at Paddington station last night on the way home and then spent 45 minutes getting from Paddington to Charing Cross, I was ready to kill Bob Bloody Crow.

<rantmode=OFF>
                  Lazy bar steward, get out and walk!

Paddington to Charing Cross involves a nice walk across Hyde Park, a nice stroll through Green Park, an amble down the Mall by St James Park, and a quick saunter past Trafalgar Square. Probably a very pleasant 45 minutes.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Ken was actually ok, a lot of people like Boris because he is a bumbling Father Christmas without the beard, not because of his policies.

I though banning alcohol on public transport was a bit much, I have quite fond memories of people having fun on New Years on the tube, drinking champagne etc. Ban bad behaviour not a potential cause of it...
                    You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Working...
                    X