• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rip Pcw

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rip Pcw

Personal Computer World is no more
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    ? Was that the right link?
    I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine. I'll be fine.
    If you give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.

Comment

A better link:

Personal Computer World magazine to close

Incisive is pulling the plug on Europe's first personal computer magazine

Personal Computer World was, I think, Europe's first personal computer magazine (there were American ones, such as Byte) and first appeared with an undated issue in 1978. You can see the first cover here
      PCW was very popular in the 1980s, partly because it covered the whole field from the Sinclair Spectrum to the IBM PC, and for some of us, because of Guy Kewney's idiosyncratic but extremely readable news column. PCW was never the same without him.
      Its market was, of course, rapidly undercut by the growth of more targeted magazines, with one or more titles appearing for almost every computer platform and numerous special interests. Under the circumstances, perhaps PCW survived longer than many might have expected.

PCW is now owned by Incisive Media Ltd, which bought it as part of VNU Business Publications in 2007. According to Press Gazette, "Incisive has blamed the closure on the 'unprecedented adverse economic climate'."
      In the early 1980s, I edited what was probably Europe's second personal computer magazine, Practical Computing, which many considered a rival. In fact, of course, we were all friends, and later I wrote a column for PCW. In this kind of market, the real competition is made up of photography, hi-fi, car, boating and other rival interests.

I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine. I'll be fine.
      If you give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.

Comment

Is "Byte" still going? I used to love reading "Chaos Manor".

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Is "Byte" still going? I used to love reading "Chaos Manor".
          Sadly not. Was bought out by a competitor and closed in 1998.

I subscribed to it for many years.

Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar was my favourite bit. I actually built a few of the projects (though nearly always modified or bastardised in some way).

I found Jerry Pournell a bit irritating.

Happy days!

Byte was tons better and far more hardcore than PCW with that beardy tit Kewney.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            RIP - I had a lot of respect for that publication but can't say I'm going to miss it as I've not had time to read it for more than 15 years!
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              Sadly not. Was bought out by a competitor and closed in 1998.

I subscribed to it for many years.

Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar was my favourite bit. I actually built a few of the projects (though nearly always modified or bastardised in some way).

I found Jerry Pournell a bit irritating.
              A bit? Got to admire the chutzpah of building a reputation as a technological guru entirely on his inability to get his PC to work.

Comment

I've not bought or read a single PC magazine in 10 years.
                The articles are mostly available online in some form, the advertising is irrelevant as it's so easy to find suppliers and the cover CD's are pointless as there are so many sites where you can download applications and freeware.

Comment

Syntax was the first computer mag I remember, or could it have been Computer Age or Byte first??

I also remember building 'computers' based on designs in Practical Electronics and Popular Electronics .

All were when I was a lot younger, late 70's early 80's I guess.....

Heres a link if you can be bothered to read it
                  http://www.vintage-computer.com/magazines.shtml

PZZ

Comment

Sais here that Creative Computing was just about first:-

http://www.atariarchives.org/deli/co...ne_madness.php

PZZ

Comment

Working...
                    X