• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nostalgia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nostalgia

I remember working with chaps who all had these on their desks.

http://www.cbronline.com/news/silico...indigo_at_8000

http://www.recycledgoods.com/images/s_p_33358_1.jpg

And being very jealous as all I had was a new fangled Pentium 60.

Can now buy a working one on ebay for £50.

Nostalgia, isn't what it used to be, sadly.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I love the MIPS processor, still use 'em on occasion.

Comment

Still have 2 SGI machines that I use most weeks when I have the time....used to use them every day in the 80's as a sysadmin....

PZZ

Comment

I remember being allowed to use one of these http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/superbrain.html in the early '80's during my work in industry while at uni.

I recall that a 5meg (meg not gig) external Shurgart hard drive cost 10,900 pounds and everyone was clueless as to how we could possibly utilize so much storage at the time.

I also remember one of the first commercial programs that I wrote in MS-basic - a weekly payroll program. Being a newbie programmer I had to make it as 'good' as I possibly could. We turned it off after we realized that it was still running after 8 days and it was far simpler to calculate the weekly payroll by more conventional means!

PZZ

Comment

I had a summer job with British Gas back in 1988. I wrote a few modula-2 libaries for accessing dBase files, so that they could run the timesheet reporting in less than 3 hours...

That was on a 286 machine. The boss had a 386, which was the latest technology.

We had an Apple IIe at school with 5MB Winchester drives. That was cool. I've still got a fully functional ZX81 at home. I just can't bear to part with it.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              Nostalgia, isn't what it used to be, sadly.
              I remember the first time I heard that joke. Cor, that takes me back a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                I remember the first time I heard that joke. Cor, that takes me back a bit.
                Nostalgia is a thing of the past?
                You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Working...
                X