• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Internet without a BT Line?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet without a BT Line?

Is there such a thing as having an internet-only line dropped into a premises? I don't need a telephone line as I have a mobile/don't talk on the phone much!

Plus, I don't want to pay the set up fee for having a new line put in - even though BT can wave that charge. The monthly charge for a line I'd only be using for internet access seems a waste of money.

The only dedicated network lines I know of are of the kind used by businesses, but now we're talking serious monthly payments....

Virgin media cable broadband, £20 pcm, £15 self installation - only if you're in a cabled area.
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

AFAIK all adsl broadband will require a BT line. Look at cable (Virgin) if you don't want to pay line rental for a phone you don't use.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

See which 3G providers offer HSDPA where you live, and find the best deal, and buy one of these:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/.../WRT54G3GV2-VF

I have one as a backup router, because I had flaky broadband for a while. I just plug my vodafone data card in, for which I have a business data contract for use in my laptop at client co offices.

You can get 3G data with upto 3Gb download for ~£15 per month.

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
          Plus, I don't want to pay the set up fee for having a new line put in - even though BT can wave that charge.
          waive.

There's leased lines. I assume it's still possible to get such a thing. And maybe if there's LLU in your area somebody would sell you an internet only ADSL connection.

But as for BT supplied ADSL, no they make you get a phone line. But then the phone line doesn't cost a great deal. I practically never use my landline for phone calls these days.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

When I used to rent places and have ADSL installed with a BT line, I found that when I was between houses the ADSL kept working long after the BT line had dropped dead. Have always wondered if you can get away with doing this for the long term After all you only needed the active BT line to set up ADSL. So long as its physically there, should you still need a telephone contract for the ADSL to flow??

Found out the hard way when the missus forgot to pay the phone bill earlier this year and our BT line was cut off (grrr), BT informed Sky broadband who then terminated our ADSL contract. I had to enter a new 12 month broadband contract to sort the whole thing out, but at no point did the ADSL drop dead. Even during a supposed waiting period when they had to 'set everything up' again.

My advice would be to look at mobile broadband as FarmerPalmer said. If you have good coverage, the contract deals are getting pretty good these days. Failing that, and if cable broadband is still a bad deal (it was when I was looking), get the BT line and live with it.

Comment

I think there are still some regional line-of-sight broadband offerings for rural businesses. Might be worth seeing if you have one in your area.
              "take me to your leader"

Comment

Just scan the airwaves and use one of your neighbors Wi-Fi connections for free.

Or you can ask for BT to provide you with a line that is incoming only- no calls are allowed, but you still need to pay for the line rental.

You can also go for a satellite internet option, but we are talking big bucks for this.

The only other alternative is to use 3G/HSDPA that gives pretty good performance for a few quid a month.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                  our BT line was cut off ... I had to enter a new 12 month broadband contract
                  And I have found BT's minimum contract period is now 18 months, which is even worse when you are in a 6 month rental.
                  I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine. I'll be fine.
                  If you give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Prickles View Post
                    And I have found BT's minimum contract period is now 18 months, which is even worse when you are in a 6 month rental.
                    That can be negotiated.

Comment

Working...
                    X