• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

McAfee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McAfee

The PC I bought came with a month's trial of McAfee antivirus installed and it has recently been begging me for renewal, so with some trepidation I decided to renew it for a year.

I noticed on McAfee's credit card payment screen that it said that I would 'automatically' be billed again next year, but that I could change this on the 'My account' screen. After checking out that screen and not finding the relevent option, I was bit concerned, but thought perhaps this option will appear after I have paid for the product. Nope A quick search on-line shows that McAfee makes it difficult to turn off the 'automatic dip into your pocket option' and there are a lot of unhappy people out there.

I'm currently trying to figure out a way of cancelling it via their email chat. Lots of time wasted.

FFS.

If there is a page to manage your payement details just change the card number they hold for you to an invalid one.

I have to ask why you are using them when there a lots of very good *free* solutions out there.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Download NOD antivirus via BitTorrent for free. HTH
      You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        If there is a page to manage your payement details just change the card number they hold for you to an invalid one.

I have to ask why you are using them when there a lots of very good *free* solutions out there.
        My own sheer stupidity.

Your first suggestion may be worth a try, but I suspect card details will be checked. I will see if I get an email response from McAfee. If not, I will attempt to cancel the recent subscription entirely and/or contact Visa.

Comment

Okay, I downloaded McAfee's on-line chat tool and chatted to the 'reply from script' chappy at the other end and he says the automatic billing is now cancelled. Quite efficient, but still a lot of unnecessary palaver. Avoid.

Comment

Let me edit that for you:

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            McAfee. Avoid.
            I'm surprised you made such a schoolboy error

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              Let me edit that for you:

I'm surprised you made such a schoolboy error

I never used to be this dumb, I've always used the free stuff. But the product was nagging me for renewal (by desktop and email) and I thought what the hell, it's big company, shiny new PC etc.

Their screen is still showing 'credit card active' for me and with no way of changing it, so this may not be over yet. Unlike unsubscribing, their recent automated email in response to my chat session was clear on how to reactivate automatic payment. Any more trouble and I will contact Visa.
              Last edited by TimberWolf; 12 June 2009, 09:42.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Okay, I downloaded McAfee's on-line chat tool and chatted to the 'reply from script' chappy at the other end and he says the automatic billing is now cancelled. Quite efficient, but still a lot of unnecessary palaver. Avoid.
                Unless you have it in writing I would not trust them. Come to think of it I wouldn't trust them even if I had it in writing, but at least I'd feel more cetain of getting my money back.

Comment

I have recently switched to BitDefender. Is recommended by Microsoft, has very good reviews and seems ok, not getting the disc activity I was getting with AVG8. It is also pretty CHEAP and what else really matters?
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                    Unless you have it in writing I would not trust them. Come to think of it I wouldn't trust them even if I had it in writing, but at least I'd feel more cetain of getting my money back.
                    WHS. I have had this, not From McAfee but from another company.

BTW it will be no good contacting visa/your bank. I did this once and they said that:
                    • a recurring debit represents a single transaction
                    • you approved that transaction already
                    • you can not cancel a transaction that you have approved

so you have to contact the seller....

Comment

Working...
                    X