• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Neat and designed in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neat and designed in the UK

http://news.idealo.co.uk/news/6032/n...s-charger.html

I am a bit ignorant in this area, but shirley if all the phones are "harvesting" power from radio waves, reception for others would be affected? I mean you can't get something for nothing right?

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ing-phone.html

Oh dear.™
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        I am a bit ignorant in this area, but shirley if all the phones are "harvesting" power from radio waves, reception for others would be affected? I mean you can't get something for nothing right?
        Don't call me Shirley....

PZZ

Comment

Yup, every time you switch your radio on, a "Wireless Pixie" dies of starvation!

Comment

Depends on the power of the wave.

Conservation of energy must apply*

*Unless you suddenly get sucked into a parallel universe where rules don't apply. And in that case, I think charging your mobile will be he least of your worries.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Wireless charging will be interesting as the side effects will be highly entertaining.

People with metal plates and screws will either get shocks or burned by induction effects.
              Bones with unusual calcium deposits will heat up and probably die.
              Dental braces and bridges will heat.
              Unshielded electrical equipment, power and data cables will go bananas.
              The RF spectrum will be polluted by wonky emitters.
              Magnetic fields could be interrupted in some thoroughly novel ways.
              Seriously wonky emitters will microwave people.

I'm not entirely convinced that the tiny benefits would outweigh the potential risks.

Comment

I guess that you could fast charge your mobile by putting it in the microwave oven. No??

PZZ

Comment

That's a bit like saying the more people there are on the beach, the paler your tan will be.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Yes, you are correct. Ignore most of these donkeys as they've not got a clue what they're on with and just bulltulip their way through life.

Here's one I remember of this 'invented in Britain last week' invention was during WW2 where a German guy was powering his home by collecting the power from a very high power transmitter being used to talk to German outposts all over the world.

The authorities caught up with him when they mapped the radiation pattern and noticed a large shadow.

He was sent to a concentration camp and I don't recall what happened to him after that.

Another example is that there's many an office block in London where the lights glow dimly even when switched off.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X