• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in The Netherlands

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in The Netherlands

General shout-out:

Apart from doing the usual jobswerve search and specifying 'Holland' or 'The Netherlands' in the location field, are there any particularly useful native job boards for contract searches?

TIA

My gut feeling is that a Thread on CUK is NOT the way.............

I have recently been thinking is "A Thread on CUK" actually the answer.... ever?

Comment

You could apply there:

http://www.amsterdam.info/red-light-district/

Comment

Long time agobut think I remember expatica as being a good forum to ask that kind of question ...
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
          General shout-out:

Apart from doing the usual jobswerve search and specifying 'Holland' or 'The Netherlands' in the location field, are there any particularly useful native job boards for contract searches?

TIA
          I am missing contracting in Holland. It was the best experience so far. Maybe I was just lucky.

No mad american-style aggressive people at work, total democracy, overtime was for insane people only, top rates... what else do you want? well, nice food and weather would be nice but you haven't got these in UK either.

I am thinking of a contractor commute and Holland is one of the best location for transport and accomodation too.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
            I am missing contracting in Holland. It was the best experience so far. Maybe I was just lucky.

No mad american-style aggressive people at work, total democracy, overtime was for insane people only, top rates... what else do you want? well, nice food and weather would be nice but you haven't got these in UK either.

I am thinking of a contractor commute and Holland is one of the best location for transport and accomodation too.
            Food's not a problem, you can eat as well as you want to. Same goes for the UK actually. Weather depends on what you want: personally if I don't see 4 real seasons, I call it crap weather. When I was in Africa I kept getting up and looking out the window, muttering, oh tulip, not blue sky and sunshine again!

Surely Switzerland would be good for you? Everything you describe in Holland, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              Surely Switzerland would be good for you? Everything you describe in Holland, and more.
              True but what's much better in Holland is the working environment. Swiss do enjoy to give lots of overtime for free and since in many cases the boss is german you'll get also an authoritarian rather than a dutch democratic environment. And to wake up at silly times to be the first in the office. Not to mention the boredom at work (luckily I work from home most of the time). Add also that contract rates dropped after the dot com boom and never went up.
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
                True but what's much better in Holland is the working environment. Swiss do enjoy to give lots of overtime for free and since in many cases the boss is german you'll get also an authoritarian rather than a dutch democratic environment. And to wake up at silly times to be the first in the office. Not to mention the boredom at work (luckily I work from home most of the time). Add also that contract rates dropped after the dot com boom and never went up.
                True, true. I have been first in the office at least once in every country I have worked in, except Switzerland. I used to wait till after 7 a.m. to get the tram to work, so as to miss the rush hour.

I went to Zürich from France. In France, the team went to lunch in the canteen together, usually about 14:45. In Switzerland, about 11:45.

I do think you're tight about the rates too: they realised that their taxes are low, so they depend on that to attract people; but if you are taxed in your home country as well, that's no benefit.

OTOH I have no problem working for Germans, I have to say.

Comment

I liked working in the Netherlands too.

Leave work on the number 10 tram, 20 min later on the beach, fab.

I was in Den Hague BTY.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Tried the same question in PCG fora?
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X