• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying spouses dividends...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying spouses dividends...?

Hi everyone - i'm not as up to date on this as I should be.

Have they stopped people taking on their spouses as partners in a ltd company and paying them dividends.

I know about Arctic and S660, but last i'd heard the government had shelved plans to come down hard on this

Anyone got up to date info?

Thanks
    Lou

Originally posted by LouC View Post
    Hi everyone - i'm not as up to date on this as I should be.

Have they stopped people taking on their spouses as partners in a ltd company and paying them dividends.

I know about Arctic and S660, but last i'd heard the government had shelved plans to come down hard on this

Anyone got up to date info?

Thanks
    Lou
    Yes. It won't happen.

HTH
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Here's another question, does the split matter?

Can I, for insistence, go 49/51 with the shares between my wife and I?

I believe my accountant advised against it, but why should it matter? If it's legal then why is the phobia still there? Ah because HMRC can move the goal-posts at it's discretion...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

I believe my accountant advised against it, but why should it matter? If it's legal then why is the phobia still there? Ah because HMRC can move the goal-posts at it's discretion...
        Back in the days when I had a spouse, we had a 51:49 share split. On the advice of my accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Yes. It won't happen.

HTH
          Was that because of the PCG perchance?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

The fact that she could vote you off the board might be a possible drawback.

Comment

Fill yer boots.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Cheers all

Thanks for that.

On a related question. Say we 'decide' on a 70/30 split, how does this work re dividend payments. Can she only be paid 30% of the total dividends paid from the company.

eg the company pays out 35000 dividends total.
                70% = 24.5 (to me)
                30% = 10.5 (to her)

Cheers
                Lou

Comment

Originally posted by LouC View Post
                  Thanks for that.

On a related question. Say we 'decide' on a 70/30 split, how does this work re dividend payments. Can she only be paid 30% of the total dividends paid from the company.

eg the company pays out 35000 dividends total.
                  70% = 24.5 (to me)
                  30% = 10.5 (to her)

Cheers
                  Lou
                  Assuming that you have a simple share structure with a single class of share issued, then each share receives an equal proportion of the total declared dividend.

In that case the figures in your example would be correct.

Of course, if you have an existing company then there is more than meets the eye to rearranging the share capital which would probably need input from an accountant.

EDIT: I refer you to ASB's more comprehensive answer on the topic provided when you asked it back in November.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/688112-post4.html
                  Last edited by Gonzo; 15 June 2009, 01:10.

Comment

Thanks Gonzo!

Like all good contractors i need to be told the same thing at least 3 or 4 times before it sinks in

Comment

Working...
                    X