• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC VAT Online payment site is a bit buggy and naff ???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC VAT Online payment site is a bit buggy and naff ???

I just submitted my 1 Mar - 31 May 2009 VAT Online return via the HMRC "Gateway" on the internet.

When I clicked on Next to sumbit the return, it seemed to take ages then after 6 minutes I clicked next again and then the browser came back with a 'flow error" from HMRC web server. I went back to try and see if I could re-enter my 1 Mar - 31 May 2009 VAT return again and the online account just stated "No outstanding VAT payments". I now have to ring them up on Monday to see if the return successfully was received by them with the correct amounts etc.

Also some of the "boxes" on the online VAT form default to "0.00" and if you leave them like that you get an "error" when trying to submit, you have to overtype the "0.00" with value "0".

Also I didn't get the VAT returns receipt that normally displays in the browser (they strangely don't e-mail you the receipt).

I'm just wondering what their system is going to pull out of my direct debit VAT payment on 7th July or thereabouts.

I am not an a*nal retentive but come on this is 2009 and basic web entry software which is quite important ! who was contracted to write this software for the government .. come on own up !!!
    Last edited by eliquant; 13 June 2009, 12:52.

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    I just submitted my 1 Mar - 31 May 2009 VAT Online return via the HMRC "Gateway" on the internet.

When I clicked on Next to sumbit the return, it seemed to take ages then after 6 minutes I clicked next again and then the browser came back with a 'flow error" from HMRC web server. I went back to try and see if I could re-enter my 1 Mar - 31 May 2009 VAT return again and the online account just stated "No outstanding VAT payments". I now have to ring them up on Monday to see if the return successfully was received by them with the correct amounts etc.

Also some of the "boxes" on the online VAT form default to "0.00" and if you leave them like that you get an "error" when trying to submit, you have to overtype the "0.00" with value "0".

Also I didn't get the VAT returns receipt that normally displays in the browser (they strangely don't e-mail you the receipt).

I'm just wondering what their system is going to pull out of my direct debit VAT payment on 7th July or thereabouts.

I am not an a*nal retentive but come on this is 2009 and basic web entry software which is quite important ! who was contracted to write this software for the government .. come on own up !!!
    <Shaggy mode>It wasn't me</Shaggy mode>

HTH

PS The HMRC online VAT payment gateway is a shining beacon of web technology at its best.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

It always worked fine for me.

But it is a nice feeling knowing that I don't have to do VAT returns any more because I am almost free of the UK taxation system.

Comment

Working...
      X