• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Location, location, location

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Location, location, location

Are there any non-obvious downsides to living away from what we consider prime areas for contracting? Currently I live quite central(London and Bristol are both commutable). Earlier in the year I was temped to go permie so that I could relocate to a part of the country I prefer. The plan was to settle down for a few years then return to contracting.
    Where I currently live, I only moved there because it was close to my first permie job in IT. It`s a small town miles from any decent sized city. When I went contracting I just ended up staying there.

I didn`t take the permie job but I`m now thinking "hang on a minute, have the best of both worlds, relocate now and just stay contracting". So I can have a better quality of personal life as well as keeping the income and work lifestyle I still enjoy. Even where I live now, I end up most of the time working somewhere I either need to rent a place near or or stay in a B&B.

The most notable downsides I think are.
    1. Travel costs higher Mond and Fri.
    2. Will likely always have to B&B it or rent a place next to client co.
    3. agencies/clients could be put off by my far away location although i could work around that I`m sure.
    Anyone else done such a thing and had negativve or positive experiences? I don`t want to move somewhere like cornwall and realise some things I hadn`t realised before and regretting it.

Cheers
    SuperZ
    Last edited by SuperZ; 14 June 2009, 13:21.

What?
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      What?
      Quite.

I read SuperZ's post a couple of times but still couldn't determine what he was asking, specifically.

'non-obvious downsides'?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
        Currently I live quite central(London and Bristol are both commutable).
        Swindon? Living there is an obvious downside.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
        X