• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've never heard of a union asking its members to take a pay cut....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never heard of a union asking its members to take a pay cut....

Union asks BA pilots to take pay cut

Tom McGhie, Financial Mail
    14 June 2009, 10:14am

British Airways' 3,000 pilots are being asked by their union to take an average £200-a-week pay cut to help save the cashstrapped airline.

Flying low: BA pilots earn £100,000 a year on average, but may have to give up £200 a week.

The British Airline Pilots' Association (Balpa) recommends that the pilots agree to a 10% in pay and accept 100 voluntary redundancies.
    Letters urging them to accept the proposal will be sent out on Tuesday and Balpa is confident that its proposals will be endorsed in a ballot, following weeks of talks between BA and Balpa aimed at limiting job cuts.

BA pilots earn £25,000 to £150,000 a year with the average salary being about £100,000.

Negotiations with the other unions representing ground staff, baggage handlers and cabin crew are continuing.

BA chief executive Willie Walsh has given management and unions until the end of the month to come up with significant savings.

The company said talks were going well, but unions have said they will not accept compulsory redundancies - and BA has refused to rule these out.

One of the main targets of the company's cost-cutting is the bloated allowances received by 14,000 cabin crew, which in certain cases gives staff an extra £1,000 for each long-haul trip.

The company wants to cut its 40,600 workforce by a further 3,000. About 2,500 staff have already left since last summer, with others being urged to take unpaid leave or work part time.

Walsh, who is not being paid in July, has described BA as being in a 'fight for survival' after it posted record annual losses of £401m in May.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

You must not have been looking very hard then. Lots of unions have done this in cash strapped times and not just recently either.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

100K - not a bad wedge for pressing the takeoff button --> flirting with stewardesses for a few hours --> press 'land' button --> spend night banging stewardess in posh hotel --> repeat.

Wish i'd done better at school.

Comment

Times are still tough out there.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          You must not have been looking very hard then. Lots of unions have done this in cash strapped times and not just recently either.
          You are right - I do not generally tend to look hard for these types of articles - its only the headline that caught my eye otherwise I would have missed this one too!
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
            100K - not a bad wedge for pressing the takeoff button --> flirting with stewardesses for a few hours --> press 'land' button --> spend night banging stewardess in posh hotel --> repeat.

is that a Euphemism?
            Do they also bang the Stewards in the Cheap Seats??

Comment

Were you not capable of getting a pass in A-level Maths and Physics which is (was?) the only requirement for the BA cadet scheme?

Thicko.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Think about it - would you want to be a passenger in a plane flown by someone on minimum wage?

I don't think so.

Pilots are on a good wedge because we all feel better for it.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Were you not capable of getting a pass in A-level Maths and Physics which is (was?) the only requirement for the BA cadet scheme?

Thicko.
                  Unfortunately i spent the bulk of my educational and early professional career on Geology and Mining Engineering which doesn't help much in the cockpit of an A380.

I went to a posh public school and remember a number of my peers going off to become pilots. As i remember at the time, the selection process was not as simple as having Maths and Physics A-level passes.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
                    Think about it - would you want to be a passenger in a plane flown by someone on minimum wage?

I don't think so.

Pilots are on a good wedge because we all feel better for it.
                    No, i'd rather it was flown by a computer that isn't prone to slamming it into the side of a mountain because its been woofing coke off a stewardesses charlies all night.

Dont care how much the pilot is paid but i do have requirements about the size and fullness of moustache they should be sporting.

Comment

Working...
                    X