• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

chipped tile

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chipped tile

DIY question, I'll go search in the right places but thought I'd ask here. I have taken a chip out of the corner of a wall tile in the toilet. It's about 1cm across. from the top corner of a tile. I have the chipped-off piece, and it fits back on cleanly. How can I glue it on? Obviously the surfaces are highly absorbent.

I do not have a replacement tile so this is the only solution short of retiling.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    DIY question, I'll go search in the right places but thought I'd ask here. I have taken a chip out of the corner of a wall tile in the toilet. It's about 1cm across. from the top corner of a tile. I have the chipped-off piece, and it fits back on cleanly. How can I glue it on? Obviously the surfaces are highly absorbent.

I do not have a replacement tile so this is the only solution short of retiling.
    Superglue?

Comment

You will never get it to look right and you will always know it is chipped.

Can you not replace it with a "feature" tile?
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Put up a mirror, shelf or cabinet to hide it?

Comment

What about buying a some decorative tiles? Some people go out of their way to fit these even if they have perfectly serviceable plain ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
            Superglue?
            See, I am looking for the reply that doesn't have a "?" after it

Superglue would not work, because as I said the surfaces are absorbent.

Comment

See, I am looking for the reply that doesn't have a "?" after it

Superglue would not work, because as I said the surfaces are absorbent.
              Apologies. I'm tulip at DIY!

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                Apologies. I'm tulip at DIY!
                Me too. I just don't know whether it's even possible to glue it back on: a thin glue will presumably just soak in, and a thicker glue, or a non-absorbent extra coating, will spoil the flush fit and ruin the appearance.

Comment

You need ceramic adhesive like Araldite Rapid Ceramic And Glass Adhesive.
                  It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

You need to clean up the back of the chipped section to get rid of any adhesive there, and carefully scrape out at much as you can from the hole it came from. Then use tile adhesive to replace it. You'll still see the crack but anyone who didnt know it was there would have to look hard to find it.

Easiest way of cleaning up the back of the chipped piece is to put a piece of fine sand paper on a flat surface and rub the chipped piece along it.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X