• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reduction In Daily Rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reduction In Daily Rate?

I've only been contracting for 18 months, but have been in my current contract with a telecomms company for 15 months, and it's a good role, with good people.

There are some budget issues in the company, and they are letting some contractors go. I had a phone call from my recruitment consultant today saying my boss has asked if I can reduce my daily rate.

I don't really want to reduce my rate, but it's a good role and I don't want to have to look for a new role in the current climate.

Has anyone else been put in this situation before where the employer has asked them to reduce their rates?

Originally posted by RTB View Post

Has anyone else been put in this situation before where the employer has asked them to reduce their rates?
    Yes, permanent staff. They are the ones with an employer.

Comment

The end client and agency have the commercial relationship, not you and the end client, so in reality the client is asking the agency to supply yourco more cheaply.

If you don't feel like bending over, ask the agency what they are going to do to reduce their cut to soften the blow to yourco. Appear flexible but stand your ground as far as you want to push it. Some agencies won't budge, but yourco shouldn't make it easy for them.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by RTB View Post
        I've only been contracting for 18 months, but have been in my current contract with a telecomms company for 15 months, and it's a good role, with good people.

There are some budget issues in the company, and they are letting some contractors go. I had a phone call from my recruitment consultant today saying my boss has asked if I can reduce my daily rate.

I don't really want to reduce my rate, but it's a good role and I don't want to have to look for a new role in the current climate.

boss -
        the employer -

Aside from pedantry.......

Speak to your client... and check that your Pimp isn't lying...... It is just possible! (a) That he isn't lying, b) That he isn't lying about this)

Such shennanigans do sometimes happen..... so I woul dimagine the answer to your question wil be "Yes"....

Obviously only you can decide if you "take it"........

Comment

WHS - Also when you speak to your CLIENT ask what sort of reduction they are looking to make and check that the agent isn't pulling a fast on. It could be a good way to start the conversation to see what the client is paying for you and how much the agent is making!
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Rather than taking, say a 10% cut. Offer to do a 9 day fortnight instead.
            Originally posted by cailin maith
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

See if you can accomodate them without caving in completely. Start by asking what they think they've done to earn a discount. Maybe offer them 5% off for a limited period in exchange for something else.

Comment

Let's say you're asked to take a 10% rate cut.

If you elect to join the bench, and only spend a month there before you find a role on your old (good) rate, it will take around 1 year to break even. In this market it's unlikely that either of these will happen; more like 4 months on the bench with a 25% cut.

General advice is check you're not being scammed by your agent, push back a bit on the client and the agent, be a bit awkward but at the end of the day take the cut.

Some contractors talk about "pride" or "standing firm" etc. That's permie talk. You're running a business and your duty is to its shareholders, and those shareholders want to be paid dividends!
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
                  Rather than taking, say a 10% cut. Offer to do a 9 day fortnight instead.
                  This is exactly the way to go. ( At least, it's what I do ). If you can do, say, a 3 day week at the same daily rate as you are now, that gives you another 2 days to work on something else.

My current client couldn't give me a 5 day week, because a) they haven't the budget, b) they haven't the requirement. So I began the year on 2 days per week. Then someone else, with their own budget, needed someone for a few days work - so i was doing a 3/4 day week. Now it's snowballed, and some weeks I'm doing 6 day weeks!
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The bank I work for put my rate down 5% before Xmas
                    It was "take it or leave it"

They now have been profitable for Q1 and so will they most likely be for Q2.

I am due to renewal in October, I will request them to put me back at the rate they hired me.

It will be "take it or leave it"

Comment

Working...
                    X