• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The hassle of a Limited Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hassle of a Limited Company

I haven't really seen this mentioned here, unless I missed it.

I love having a Limited Company (running for 2 and a bit years now) and the freedom that it gives you etc. etc. But on some days I really do get sick of all the paperwork and admin I have to do in between the actual work I charge for e.g. liasing/chasing your accountant, chasing clients, ringing HMRC, processing paperwork, addressing various other issues which crop up etc. etc.

I think permies take for granted how simple their existence is i.e. how little they have to manage outside doing their day job.

Do any of you ever get sick of all the paperwork and overhead that comes with managing your company?

Have any of you thought about going, or actually gone permie because of the hassle?
    You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

As a Troll.......... you are closer to a Trollop!

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
      As a Troll.......... you are closer to a Trollop!
      TrollOp Troll Operator?

Comment

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
        TrollOp Troll Operator?
        No Trollop - Cheap Tart

Although & for the quick comeback!!

Comment

FFS. More kids aspiring to be Village Idiots
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Do any of you ever get sick of all the paperwork and overhead that comes with managing your company?
            Maybe you should consider paying your accountant a bit more to deal with many of the things you mention. You'd still take home more than a permie and have much less admin work on your hands - best of both worlds.

Comment

I love having a Limited Company (running for 2 and a bit years now) and the freedom that it gives you etc. etc. But on some days I really do get sick of all the paperwork and admin I have to do in between the actual work I charge for e.g. liasing/chasing your accountant, chasing clients, ringing HMRC, processing paperwork, addressing various other issues which crop up etc. etc.

I think permies take for granted how simple their existence is i.e. how little they have to manage outside doing their day job.

Have any of you thought about going, or actually gone permie because of the hassle?

I don't spend any more time on this than about half an hour per month:
              • Issuing Invoices*
              • Checking that they've been paid*
              • Filling out the expenses

I hear from the Accountant once per quarter when he sends me the VAT figures. Then again at the year end to sign two copies of the accounts, one for HRMC and one for Companies House.

There's one annual return per year to send to companies house.

And that's about it. The accountant does all PAYE stuff.

Granted during my first year I had many questions for my accountant, but after the first cycle it couldn't really be easier.

* this actually takes about zero minutes at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post

I don't spend any more time on this than about half an hour per month:
                • Issuing Invoices*
                • Checking that they've been paid*
                • Filling out the expenses

I hear from the Accountant once per quarter when he sends me the VAT figures. Then again at the year end to sign two copies of the accounts, one for HRMC and one for Companies House.

There's one annual return per year to send to companies house.

And that's about it. The accountant does all PAYE stuff.

Granted during my first year I had many questions for my accountant, but after the first cycle it couldn't really be easier.

* this actually takes about zero minutes at the moment
                Really, maybe I should makes sure my accountant does his share then. I just changed from an accountant that caused me to get lots of fines from missed deadlines I wasn't informed about cough*Nix*n Wil*iams*cough
                Last edited by Amiga500; 16 June 2009, 10:40.

Comment

I used to quite enjoy doing all the admin stuff, sad I know. But now after 3 1/2 years I find I'm completely bored of it, and that means I'm starting to make mistakes. I forgot to do my annual return back in January, until I received a nasty letter from Companies House threatening to have my company struck off.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

No. Next.
                    think of all the hassle permies have to go through.
                    Appraisals, mulitple interviews, form filling, begging for holidays, justifying sickness, begging for a pay rise etc. etc.
                    We're the ones that have got it easy.

Comment

Working...
                    X