• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

tough on what?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tough on what?

Over the 20th century, the British government took the right to have a gun away from virtually everyone. They said it would make us safer. It didn't, violent crime and gun crime in particular has steadily increased. Criminals carry guns, but an application from a householder in an isolated area to keep a gun at home for protection is guaranteed to be refused.

They introduced more CCTV cameras per head than any other country in the world, to make us safer. It hasn't.

They have banned as many knives as possible, and are looking at more. A simple Swiss Army knife with the lock that Victorinox have finally employed for safety, is a prison sentence waiting for you if you carry it in the UK, even if you're going off to the mountains with a knapsack on your back. Feeling safer yet?

They have made it illegal to photograph policemen, who will soon be safer from people like the mobile phone cameraman on youtube ..... safer and safer.

Is anybody beginning to think that it is not crime that worries the government, but lack of control of the populace?

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Over the 20th century, the British government took the right to have a gun away from virtually everyone. They said it would make us safer. It didn't, violent crime and gun crime in particular has steadily increased.

They introduced more CCTV cameras per head than any other country in the world, to make us safer. It hasn't.

They have banned as many knives as possible, and are looking at more. A simple Swiss Army knife with the lock that Victorinox have finally employed for safety, is a prison sentence waiting for you if you carry it in the UK, even if you're going off to the mountains with a knapsack on your back. Feeling safer yet?

They have made it illegal to photograph policemen, who will soon be safer from people like the mobile phone cameraman on youtube ..... safer and safer.

Is anybody beginning to think that it is not crime that worries the government, but lack of control of the populace?
    The phrase is Law and Order. If you were the state, what would you most be worried about?

You never find that the police are too busy to put down a 'riot'.

Comment

This government has very strange logic for legislation.

For instance, speeding on country roads is a problem, therefore to address this, we will lower the speed limit from 60 to 50. However, as most of the accidents on country roads caused by speed were more than likely exceeding 60 in the first place, so that segment of the driving population will continue to ignore the new limit and all that's happened is a greater percent of the population is now at risk of being criminalized.
      Another strange one is you have to be 21 to buy a teaspoon at Asda, because someone somewhere perhaps was stabbed with one. I guess that means it's acceptable to stab people with teaspoons if you're over 21.

Things like this are only tough on the causes of common sense ....
      The close proximity of the letters 'G' and 'T' are the reason I'll never again send an important email and end it with "Regards" ....

Comment

Over the 20th century, the British government took the right to have a gun away from virtually everyone. They said it would make us safer. It didn't, violent crime and gun crime in particular has steadily increased. Criminals carry guns, but an application from a householder in an isolated area to keep a gun at home for protection is guaranteed to be refused.

How long have you had this desire to have a gun or a knife?

The old bill has a whole department called FTAC looking for people to lock up in mental hospitals that complain about the government and express an interest in guns and knives.

You are not wrong.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

The State has never been more afraid of the People than it is now, and these measures are designed to control and quash resistance.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Over the 20th century, the British government took the right to have a gun away from virtually everyone. They said it would make us safer. It didn't, violent crime and gun crime in particular has steadily increased.
            We are safer than the USA.

Comment

For instance, speeding on country roads is a problem, therefore to address this, we will lower the speed limit from 60 to 50. However, as most of the accidents on country roads caused by speed were more than likely exceeding 60 in the first place, so that segment of the driving population will continue to ignore the new limit and all that's happened is a greater percent of the population is now at risk of being criminalized.
              purely a box ticking exercise - the government can say they have done soemthing to try to reduce deaths on country roads - therefore moaning populace is happy - until the next set of figures are produced in which case the limit will come down again and again until we all have to drive backwards

or something

the populace will regulate itself - obviously except when set an example such aswith the MP expenses fiasco where all of the so called 'role models' trotted out the 'it was within the rules' rubbish

it is wrong to speed - you may kill yourself and others everyone knows that

however we are all adults and therefore make judgement calls rather than blindly follow rules

except for the muppets who do blindly follow rules

or something

Comment

Tough of NuLieBore, tough on the causes of NuLieBore, perhaps?

Comment

I generally agree with you, but it will help your argument if you can stick to the facts:

A simple Swiss Army knife with the lock that Victorinox have finally employed for safety, is a prison sentence waiting for you if you carry it in the UK, even if you're going off to the mountains with a knapsack on your back.
                  If you have a genuine reason to carry that knife, then they shouldn't take it off you. Being in the countryside with a knapsack on your back is a genuine reason.

They have made it illegal to photograph policemen
                  For the purpose of terrorism. It's a pretty narrow definition. Nobody (AFAIK) has been arrested (let alone successfully prosecuted) under these new rules as yet.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                    How long have you had this desire to have a gun or a knife?

The old bill has a whole department called FTAC looking for people to lock up in mental hospitals that complain about the government and express an interest in guns and knives.
                    Nice one that: same as the USSR used to do to dissidents.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    We are safer than the USA.
                    In England and Wales, slightly over half of burglaries are "hot burglaries" i.e. there is someone at home at the time. In the USA the proportion is less than one-eigth. Spot the difference in the mind of the intruder.

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    If you have a genuine reason to carry that knife, then they shouldn't take it off you. Being in the countryside with a knapsack on your back is a genuine reason.

[photgraphing police ...]
                    For the purpose of terrorism. It's a pretty narrow definition. Nobody (AFAIK) has been arrested (let alone successfully prosecuted) under these new rules as yet.
                    You are right about the knife, I exaggerated, mainly because I am liable to carry it anytime, since I don't think of going camping as a separate oart of my life; but now I have to be careful. However, the Terrorism Act 2008 does make it illegal to photograph or film police constables (i.e. not PCSOs), since that might be of use in planning terrorist activities.

Comment

Working...
                    X