• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brits- crap drivers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brits- crap drivers

A quiz conducted on drivers in 12 European nations by motoring clubs showed Thursday that most had only a vague notion of key parts of the road code including the drink-drive rules.

Germany's ADAC motorist organization said in Munich that not one of the 2,800 drivers tested had got all the answers right, and the overall European score of right answers was an "appalling" 54 per cent.

"It's amazing in comparison to their self-esteem: 94 per cent of them told us they were 'good' or 'very good' drivers," said ADAC expert Robert Sauter in Munich.

Fewer than 1 in 10 motorists knew the safety procedure when a car breaks down on a superhighway.

The correct
    answer was: switch on the vehicle's hazard warning lights, place a warning triangle at least 100 metres behind the car and make occupants wait in a safe place such as behind a safety barrier.

Practical questions included in the tests included how much air to put in tyres and how to reduce fuel consumption.

Overall, Austrian motorists were the top scorers, with 64.4 per cent of answers correct, followed by the Germans (61.5 per cent) and Portuguese (58.9 per cent). Slovenia scored worst at only 43.4 per cent after Spain (47.2 per cent) and Britain (49.2 per cent).

The different motoring organizations adapted the tests to local rules in each nation such as different drink-drive limits. A quarter of Germans did not know how much alcohol in their body would make driving illegal (answer: 0.5 grams of alcohol per litre of blood.)
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Originally posted by darmstadt
    Fewer than 1 in 10 motorists knew the safety procedure when a car breaks down on a superhighway.

The correct
    answer was: switch on the vehicle's hazard warning lights, place a warning triangle at least 100 metres behind the car and make occupants wait in a safe place such as behind a safety barrier.
    It's not compulsory to carry a warning triangle in this country. Besides Britain has one of the best road safety records in europe, second only to the dutch IIRC.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

I can't believe Portugal and Spain scored so highly!

Comment

It is one thing knowing the theory, it is another putting it into practice. It is a well-known fact that Portuguese drivers are all insane.

Comment

Funnily enough I was going to post about a car accident that happened in front of me this morning, but I kept laughing too much, it was so stupid. Car behind got fed up of me leaving a big gap between myself and the car in front. Well, my car accelerates a bit sudden so I do tend to leave a gap. So wally behind overtakes. I start breaking as I know what is going to happen next. Yeps, he is still accelerating as he pulls in front sharply and shunts the one I was following. Meanwhile I had shifted into the outside lane and carried on by. Don't remember if I gave a cheery wave, but I probably did.

Anyways, the Danes are without doubt the worst drivers in Europe. One reason I generally cycle, I feel safer, but that is only a feeling...

On my more usual cycle into and out of Copenhagen I see a fellow cyclist getting scrapped up about once a fortnight, (about every other month flowers appear later).

The amount of broken glass from car accidents littering the junctions caused me a puncture about once a week. I have now installed rip-proof, between the tube and tires, which apparently sells really well over here...

And digressing slightly, about every two months my chain gums up because of rubbish, bin bags, carriers, string etc., littering the streets.

The main problem they have is that essentially they always think they are right and never question the "right of way" so essentially they just run into each other without thinking. Which makes for some, to me anyway, laughable accidents. Especially if traffic lights fail, then it is hysterical.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
            Anyways, the Danes are without doubt the worst drivers in Europe.
            No way - the Italians are by far the worst drivers in Europe!!! Then there's the Americans who aren't bad - just stupid!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Nah, driving round Rome is relaxing compared to driving around Copenhagen.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I've only ever had two near death experiences, one in a Greek taxi and one in a Spanish taxi. I've never been to Portugal, which is probably why I'm still alive.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Try Malta...they are the worst.
                  If you approach a minor junction whilst on the main road, use the horn...It warns other drivers who DO NOT give way that you are there (Defensive driving?) The Malteese are always T-boning something.....
                  I have also witnesssed more than once that although they drive on the same side of the road as UK...if approaching a roundabout and turning right ie round the roundabout in a clockwise direction 3rd exit...they will simply cut across the damn thing Anti clockwise directly into oncoming traffic (Cuts down on mileage!!!)
                  ***king nutters!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                    No way - the Italians are by far the worst drivers in Europe!!!
                    Try a Trabant, 6 up, full of beer swigging Romanians, heads out of the window taking photos trying to keep up with a TVR Tuscan on a road covered in potholes and oncoming, blind overtaking locals. Madness...
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X