• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Levyfor broadband Britain?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Levyfor broadband Britain?

Looks like we'll all pay a £6 levy on our phone lines to pay for broadband network in the UK. Fine, but we cannot get anything faster than 512kb/sec we are reliably informed. Seeing as we have virtually nil chance of ever getting faster internet connection, we are in a real rural telecoms black-spot, then why should I pay the extra £6 towards something we'll never benefit from?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Watching the news there it claimed that 250 million of the tv licence goes towards encouraging braodband.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Looks like we'll all pay a £6 levy on our phone lines to pay for broadband network in the UK. Fine, but we cannot get anything faster than 512kb/sec we are reliably informed. Seeing as we have virtually nil chance of ever getting faster internet connection, we are in a real rural telecoms black-spot, then why should I pay the extra £6 towards something we'll never benefit from?
      Ditto, plus the irony that our exchange was the first in England to be cabled for the "21st Century Network", and it was my partner's company that did it.

Comment

Not on my own then. We'll never get a faster connection over copper. We need a fibre network to our door. Will we ever get it?

I remember a certain Mr Blair promising it ages ago. 'nuff said, huh?

Comment

Another day, another tax.

50p a month for starters.

And once the next General Election is out of the way......

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
            Another day, another tax.

50p a month for starters.

And once the next General Election is out of the way......

Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              Erm, one of the main points of the "Digital Britain" nonsense is bringing at least 2Mb to all. So you are one of the small minority that will gain from this. It's the rest of us that should be whinging.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Why cant people move to where there is a fast broadband conection FFS?

If people want to live and the countryside, have slow broadband and spend their spare time molesting squirrels then fine. Let em.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Erm, one of the main points of the "Digital Britain" nonsense is bringing at least 2Mb to all. So you are one of the small minority that will gain from this. It's the rest of us that should be whinging.
                  No. Unless the copper line is ripped up and replaced with fibre I will never get more than 512kb/sec. Do you think that will happen in the next 30 years? Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Why cant people move to where there is a fast broadband conection FFS?

If people want to live and the countryside, have slow broadband and spend their spare time molesting squirrels then fine. Let em.
                    No, I do not live in the countryside. I live 18 miles from Chester, 19 miles from Manchester, 30 miles from Stoke, 35 miles from Liverpool. I do not live in the country.

Comment

Working...
                    X