• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gates to fund mass mutilation programme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gates to fund mass mutilation programme

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...programme.html

Wouldn't it be cheaper, more cost effective and humane to hand out condoms (which would also serve as handy water bottles)? Oh wait, they are being advised to wear condoms too :smacks-forehead-emoticon

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...programme.html

Wouldn't it be cheaper, more cost effective and humane to hand out condoms (which would also serve as handy water bottles)? Oh wait, they are being advised to wear condoms too :smacks-forehead-emoticon
    This is for men so I guess that they have a choice if they get circumcised or not as opposed to most new born boys in the USA that have no choice whatsoever.

I suppose the popularity of this progaram will depend on how 'American' these guys want to look in front of their lady friends and how cool a 'short back and sides' looks in the circles that they move in....

Im not keen on condoms myself BTW.

PZZ

Comment

If it's "in the circle", surely you can't see it?
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Any idea that may reduce the incidence of AIDS has to be good. It has been known for years that circumcised men are much safer than the dirty un-circumcised version.

Comment

If it was 100% effective then I might have to concede that it has some value, but at that rate an entirely different solution is required.

I am quite attached to my foreskin , but I don't have HIV.

I was in my early-teens when the issue became widely known about so awareness for my age-group was pretty high.

Now that I am married and nearly 40 means that the issue is all academic for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
            Any idea that may reduce the incidence of AIDS has to be good. It has been known for years that circumcised men are much safer than the dirty un-circumcised version.
            You've much experience of the uncircumcised dirty version?

Would never have had you down as playing for the other team, much less as a catcher for them.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post

If it was 100% effective then I might have to concede that it has some value, but at that rate an entirely different solution is required.

I am quite attached to my foreskin , but I don't have HIV.

I was in my early-teens when the issue became widely known about so awareness for my age-group was pretty high.

Now that I am married and nearly 40 means that the issue is all academic for me.

Populations in Third World countries have far less readily available access to clean water and thus the benefits of good hygiene, which will make circumcision particularly effective in those countries.
              Remember also that limited access to condoms and religious pressures not to use them means that circumcision, while not being a perfect solution, will be pretty effective.

Comment

I realise that that part of the body does have to be kept clean so, that it is customary in arid parts of the world to cut it off should not really come as any surprise.

The rest of the world does have water for washing, so there is no reason not to be clean enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  Populations in Third World countries have far less readily available access to clean water and thus the benefits of good hygiene, which will make circumcision particularly effective in those countries.
                  Remember also that limited access to condoms and religious pressures not to use them means that circumcision, while not being a perfect solution, will be pretty effective.
                  The reverse was found in some reports I read. Incidence of Aids was higher in circumcised men, possibly because they thought they were safe.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Not to mention the attitude that "it's like eating a sweetie with the wrapper on"...
                    The Missus likens it to "washing your feet with your wellies on"
                    If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

Comment

Working...
                    X