• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

An airplane on a treadmill: will it take off?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An airplane on a treadmill: will it take off?

Well will it?
    Yes
    38.89%
    No
    44.44%
    AndyW will be serving hot towels
    16.67%

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    Well will it?
    No. Not unless you put a very big fan in front of it.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Ryan Air are building one right now
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

It won't stay on the treadmill for long. And then it'll take off.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Yes. The treadmill is irrelevant as the aircraft uses props or jets to attain speed and not some sort of friction based propulsion.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

You can prevent the plane from taking off by attaching blocks to your treadmill.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              Yes. The treadmill is irrelevant as the aircraft uses props or jets to attain speed and not some sort of friction based propulsion.
              Are we assuming that the aircraft is using it's engines on the treadmill?

The aircrat takes off due to the lift caused by the airflow over the wings being slower than under the wings because the route taken by the air over the curved top of the wings is longer than the route under the flat bottom, and therefore the air pressure is lower above the wings. If the treadmill is standing still then the aircraft is also standing still and doesn't have enough air flowing over and under the wings to generate lift.

Perhaps at some unfeasible speed the treadmill itself would cause sufficient airflow to the wings, but I rather suspect that the aircraft's wheel bearings would have melted by then.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Are we assuming that the aircraft is using it's engines on the treadmill?

The aircrat takes off due to the lift caused by the airflow over the wings being slower than under the wings because the route taken by the air over the curved top of the wings is longer than the route under the flat bottom, and therefore the air pressure is lower above the wings. If the treadmill is standing still then the aircraft is also standing still and doesn't have enough air flowing over and under the wings to generate lift.

Perhaps at some unfeasible speed the treadmill itself would cause sufficient airflow to the wings, but I rather suspect that the aircraft's wheel bearings would have melted by then.

If the treadmill was outside in very high winds, I've no doubt that the aircraft could take off.

Comment

It could take off, but would need more powerful engines than usual to get the required air speed under the wings to create lift.

Comment

The thrust generated by the engine(s) is not transferred to the wheels (as mentioned by others) therefore the treadmill is irrelevant.

The aircraft will take off unless anchored down.

Comment

Working...
                    X