• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A boat in zero gravity : would it sink?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A boat in zero gravity : would it sink?

If a boat was floating on the sea out in space, would it sink?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Assuming you enclose the boat and sea (of water?) in a box and assume normal pressures and temperature, yes, the boat would sink. In all directions.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      How would you notice?
      The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

A sea in zero gravity?

What would hold all the water molecules together?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Yes it would, the boat and the water will attract each other assuming no other forces are present.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            A sea in zero gravity?

What would hold all the water molecules together?
            What holds them together without gravity?

Surface tension.

Hth.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              What holds them together without gravity?

Surface tension.

Hth.
              I don't think it would work, but anyway, the temperature in space is so low that the water would be frozen. The ship would sit on top of a lump of ice.

Comment

I don't think it would work, but anyway, the temperature in space is so low that the water would be frozen. The ship would sit on top of a lump of ice.
                On top?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  On top?
                  well, not on top, but on it.

Comment

You're assuming that heat is only conducted, transferred via convection.

Radiation, convection and conduction are all methods of heat transfer.

I think the water would boil away if not contained by some form of pressure vessel.

Comment

Working...
                    X