• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you do that?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you do that?

Would you work for nothing ?

Originally posted by denver2k View Post
    Would you work for nothing ?
    Depends. If I genuinely thought it was the difference between my company surviving, and them not (And me being out of a job in a very bad market), then yeah.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      Depends. If I genuinely thought it was the difference between my company surviving, and them not (And me being out of a job in a very bad market), then yeah.
      When the CEO is making £61K a month? Get tae ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
        When the CEO is making £61K a month? Get tae ****.
        He's doing it for a month.

And not being funny, but CEO's are expected to earn big bucks. Not sure him taking nothing for a year would make a difference ...

I'm sure there are many people who're now out of work, who given that chance and the possibility of their company being solvent and in a job wuold take it.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

The point is that it's absolutely no sacrifice at all for the CEO to give up £60k of his money. He's asking other poor sods in the company to get into debt / possibly go hungry probably because he and his fellow execs fecked up in the first place.
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
            The point is that it's absolutely no sacrifice at all for the CEO to give up £60k of his money. He's asking other poor sods in the company to get into debt / possibly go hungry probably because he and his fellow execs fliped up in the first place.
            OK, possibly agree with that. But it doesn't change the current situation.

And no - taking a week of unpaid leave (Or up to a month) isn't going to make anyone starve, and they'll still be a lot better off than if they'd no job at all.

And BTW Is it really his fault the global economy has tanked? bit harsh, no?

Comment

CEO's are paid to know things we don't

Originally posted by snaw View Post
              And BTW Is it really his fault the global economy has tanked? bit harsh, no?
              It may not be his fault, but isn't he paid big bucks to foresee the problem that us lesser mortals can't get our tiny minds around (or at at least have some decent hedging strategy)

Comment

I would (and indeed have) do this in a small outfit where I knew the boss was taking an equivalent hit, but no way is that bloke worth 61k a month and as others have said, it's a tiny sacrifice for him.

Comment

I get that, but equally it's a bit of a side issue. Personally I'd be pissed off at him, and possibly baying for his blood - but more importantly I'd be worrying about myself first and being in a job ...

Comment

Why are they asking the workers to give up their pay?
                    Why not ask the shareholders to dig deep and to fund the company they own through this lean period!
                    The shareholders have done well over the years taking dividends from vast profits, surely they also have a responsibility for the loses.

If it is a choice of a month off and no job at all I would take the month off. I would still be pissed off witht he board and owners though.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X