• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can/will they take me to court for terminating contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can/will they take me to court for terminating contract

Im half way through a 12 month contract in the public sector and have been promoted. The new role requires retendering of the job to the market for agencies to apply with candidates. I will get the role and have been negotiating with my agency and others to get the best rate.
    My current agency cannot beat the rate of another so i want to change, however there was talk in disussions that I am tied by contract to work via this agency for 6 months if i decide to leave.
    What ties do I have to the contract concidering the client i work for is a big player in the contractor arena and a tough one to get into from a recruiter. Would they ruin relations they have with my client simply because they cant offer me the % i want? or would they just not pay me?

Check your contract terms, what does it say in there?.. might be a good starting point.. normally it may say something along the lines that you cannot work directly or indirectly for the client for at least a period of 6 months after work finishes.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

promoted = permie talk

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        promoted = permie talk
        True say!

Real Talk!

Surfstar you are not a Contractor

No Promotions -

Money over BullTulip
        Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

I have not read your contract, and a lot depends on how much it is worth, but I would guess that they can and probably will.
          You are already negotiating with them so they know the score. they will want their slice.
          They wont damage client relations by suing you and your company. If you damage their reputation with the end client then there could be implications there too.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
          X