• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Medical

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company Medical

I am contracting at a company that has a policy that EVERYONE goes through a medical. I am hoping that it is simply an occupational health thing.

However I hate the thought of it, as a contractor, and I don't wish to go.

What are my rights.......and your advice...

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
    I am contracting at a company that has a policy that EVERYONE goes through a medical. I am hoping that it is simply an occupational health thing.

My thoughts.

Some ******* company treats another contractor like a permi. Makes my blood boil.

You have no legal obligation to go (unless it is in your contract)
    I'd politely decline. This may however cause friction and you lose the gig.

Can you send a substitute to do your medical?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

What?

So do they give the post man a medical? Of if they need to call in an electrician to fix the airconditioning?

I would say NO.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post

Think of it as a freebie.

When it comes to the question of "is there anything you should be worried about" the question would only arise if they were to fire you - you would then claim (presumably successfully) that the hiring of your company to do work was not dependent on the company director being in good health.

Alternatively if it's really a bug-bear for you, I'm sure that you could refuse to go and tell them that you didn't want them to incur the extra cost associated with having to perform a medical on you when you clearly don't need one.

Comment

Can you invoice them for the time?
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It depends on the circumstances but generally speaking if they apply it to everyone, permies, contractors, 3rd party workers on site et al then it has no bearing on employment status and I wouldn't worry about it.

Give HR a ring and ask them why they are doing it and if it applies to other 3rd parties as well as permanent employees.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

And don't be surprised if HR get a copy of your medical report. Got anything you don't want your colleagues to know?
              If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

Comment

For many companies it's an arse coving exercise, they use it to ensure that they are not harming your health in any way (hence eliminating future claims against them).

As a clientco has a duty of care to all their staff and contractors, it's generally rolled out across the board.

Nothing to worry about.
                'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Can you invoice them for the time?
                  Good point, I need to think more like a contractor.

Comment

Could you not call in sick that day?

Comment

Working...
                    X