• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can the company pay moving expenses?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the company pay moving expenses?

I have a UK limited company, but have now decided to relocate abroad and also set up a company in my new country. I am sole director. Is it reasonable that the company could pay all or part of my moving expenses?

Originally posted by joarvat View Post
    I have a UK limited company, but have now decided to relocate abroad and also set up a company in my new country. I am sole director. Is it reasonable that the company could pay all or part of my moving expenses?
    Unless the expenses are a benefit to the company trading I'd say no.

Comment

Originally posted by joarvat View Post
      If you need to relocate due specifically for business reasons then there are certain things that can be expensed up to £8000. However my interpretation of HMRC's rules that simply moving because you feel like it (even if you're going to continue doing your job somewhere else) is that any claims would be liable to tax and NICs.

Here's the full details:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/ebi...relocation.htm

You'll see there are a very specific set of conditions that need to be met for expenses to be tax/NIC exempt.

Comment

Working...
      X