• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wimps?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wimps?

Explained to (non-IT) partner in detail how the agency model works, how much agents know about IT, how the selection is all based on keywords rather than on knowledge, the size of the agent's cut, the handcuff clauses, the lies about having submitted your CV, how they tell us not to be submitted more than once or else be binned, etc etc.

She summarised the situation in a few words: you're all a bunch of spineless wimps for letting those ******* do that to you.

Discuss, dissent, please.

Does she have a viable alternative model in mind that can be rolled out globally? Alterntively hand her the phone and ask her to find you your next contract.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      Explained to (non-IT) partner in detail how the agency model works, how much agents know about IT, how the selection is all based on keywords rather than on knowledge, the size of the agent's cut, the handcuff clauses, the lies about having submitted your CV, how they tell us not to be submitted more than once or else be binned, etc etc.

She summarised the situation in a few words: you're all a bunch of spineless wimps for letting those ******* do that to you.

Discuss, dissent, please.
      It is crazy what agents take, but on the other hand I do think they increase the rates achieved. I might go so far as to say they artificially inflate our salaries, which can be a pain and work against you when you're willing to work for less to get work.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        She summarised the situation
        Here's my summary of her expert analysis. Think more talk less.

Put the kettle on love.

Comment

Without agents, there would be far fewer opportunities for contractorship. Most contractors would be permies, either with end clients or the big body shops. For all their shortcomings, I'm grateful for their creativity in making the UK the largest open market for IT freelancers.

Comment

She does have a point, but then I don't think many development managers/PMs want to look through 200 CVs for one job.

The problem really is companies forcing people to go through agencies even when the appointment was made through a network.

Agencies should make their money for finding someone, not being the mandatory middle man in a business to business agreement.

Comment

Agents are your sales force. If you've been in business properly you will know how much a sales organisation costs a business. I think agents are pretty good value for money in comparison.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                Agents are your sales force. If you've been in business properly you will know how much a sales organisation costs a business. I think agents are pretty good value for money in comparison.
                What the Fat Yorkie Says!

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                  That's actually a great way of thinking of it Threaded.
                  The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

The problem really is companies forcing people to go through agencies even when the appointment was made through a network.
                    Couldn't agree more, you'd think there would be an agency with a transparent low margin set up purely for the 'go between' scenario.

Money for old rope but they could do a stoncking trade on less than 5% margin seeing as they’d have very little to do. Plan B anyone?
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X