• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

63 inch plasma all in one purchase and installation ? its heavy (68Kg)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

63 inch plasma all in one purchase and installation ? its heavy (68Kg)

My 63 inch plasma packed in, its heavy and it needs taking away could you recommend the following:

a) A company to take the old plasma TV away and disposed it legally. Its 68Kg or so and one person cannot carry it; instead it really requires four people or two Jeff Capes to carry it around. I am in central London in a 1st floor flat. Doing my research I see that John Lewis do a service for this but will their cover really have their workmen heave plasma TVs down the stairs of 1st floor London flats ??? you got any recommendations ?

b) I need a new 63 inch plasma TV (this time with 3 years warranty instead of the standard 1), who for Central London will delivery it and carry it up the stairs to my first floor flat, unpackage it and then place it on a low (below knee level) cabinet ?? I must stress again that it will take around 3-4 people to carry it up the stairs. I carried it the now defective one up the stairs 20 months ago with a driver and I almost died of a heart attack ! Doing my research I suspect COMET may do this but are there any alternatives ?
    I am loathed to use Harrods as you pay over the odds usually and John Lewis although they are plasma vendors they don't seem to have many delivery options or installation options... again your recommendations are most valued.

(yours peed off with a bust up plasma).
    Last edited by eliquant; 18 June 2009, 22:24.

How did it die?

Also...make & model please
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I've had good experiences with John Lewis's, their customer help lines seem to have more than a clue. They're competitive on prices too which is why I've bought things through them a fair few times.

I expect that they will be able to handle the delivery and installation if they quote for it.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        I've had good experiences with John Lewis's, their customer help lines seem to have more than a clue. They're competitive on prices too which is why I've bought things through them a fair few times.

I expect that they will be able to handle the delivery and installation if they quote for it.
        You are an MP AICMFP

Comment

You live in a (sounds like a small) London flat and you NEED a 63" TV?!
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            How did it die?

Also...make & model please
            Its a SAMSUNG PS63P76FDX 63 INCH PLASMA TV, v. happy with it until now.

Well it didn't die exactly but basically it has a thin black horizontal line all of a sudden horizontally accross the screen, almost as if someone has got a black felt tip pen or a biro and draw the line accross the screen. What is strange about this black line is that it sometimes gets thicker by the width of another line or sometimes it gets thinner and faint. This line shows on all channels and all different screen input types and even the inbuilt anti burn in mode screen.

Note this is NOT burn in on the plasma I've delt with burn in before (with video games etc) and Samsungs are excellent for getting rid of that sort of thing.

I even bought the technicians manual over the web with a trouble shooting guide, I even entered the secret Samsung Service menu on the tv and played around with the settings and I cannnot get rid of the line.

I think that an entire row of pixels has basically died and the adjascent row is about to die, very annoying and apparently rare on plasmas.

I am wondering what caused this, i.e. component overheating, circuit burn out, outside noise, Wifi ?, Ethernet over power, Virgin media (I've noticed lines and distortion sometimes when I use this box but a reset on the V+ box sorts this out).

All in all very worrying and disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
              You are an MP AICMFP
              Bugger, rumbled!!!!!!

Comment

Make sure its an LCD this time, or LED even better.

And go to Harrods, Eliquant. It's only round the corner!

I would happily pay more in Harrods for the customer service. Beats dealing with disinterested staff in Selfridges.
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  Make sure its an LCD this time, or LED even better.

And go to Harrods, Eliquant. It's only round the corner!

I would happily pay more in Harrods for the customer service. Beats dealing with disinterested staff in Selfridges.
                  Those LCDs only go up to 55 inches for the same money, the plasma go to 63 inches for the same money, it makes quite a difference. Also Samsung are doing a load of media dlna ethernet networked TVs right now which 'looks good' but reading between the lines u cannot just play 'any content' on your PC and stream it to your big TV rather only the media formats that the samsung software allows u to play.

I just need to win the lottery. You could say you have not learnt your lesson with buying alsmost the same product from the same manufacturer but hey I was delighted with it up until now'

Comment

Nothing wrong with plasma, in fact they are having a bit of a comeback with current generation technology. I did a bunch of research very recently, though only in the 40-50" range, maybe the rules are different at 60"+.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X