• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it advisable to demand knowledge of amount charged to client by agency ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

say, even before even you get the contract.

I know of one person on this board insists on knowing the amount the client is forking out for you because it allows you to gauge client expectations of you ,however, will most agencies NOT do this (in writing or verbally ?) ??

I suppose if they tell you over the phone its hard to get evidence ... that is unless you tape them.

Advice please !

Originally posted by messiah

say, even before even you get the contract.

I know of one person on this board insists on knowing the amount the client is forking out for you because it allows you to gauge client expectations of you ,however, will most agencies NOT do this (in writing or verbally ?) ??

I suppose if they tell you over the phone its hard to get evidence ... that is unless you tape them.

Advice please !
    No harm in asking though. I did and they told me their %age.

Comment

I wouldn't have thought it was advisable to DEMAND anything. Your soft skills and negotiation should come into play surely?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

" know of one person on this board insists on knowing the amount the client is forking out for you because it allows you to gauge client expectations of you ",

feck me I've heard it all now !

Milan.

Comment

Soft skills..?

Im not giving head to an agent! (Apart from the nice lady who bought me a fillet steak and Long Island Iced Tea)
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
            Soft skills..?

Im not giving head to an agent! (Apart from the nice lady who bought me a fillet steak and Long Island Iced Tea)
            You're not going to let us forget that are you? your 1st and probably last lunch with your agent

Comment

Well, she sent me her business card two days later, and has emailed me and rung me three times... if I were single Id probably ask her out actually...

And ive been taken to lunch quite a few times, but that was the first time by a very good looking young lady.... (they probably send her out to meet all the contractors first!)
              Vieze Oude Man

Comment

yes the old honey-trap

Comment

yum!

at least you get hot women giving you their mobile number, and they pay the lunch bill.
                  Vieze Oude Man

Comment

I always ask. There is a good reason for this.

If the agency is charging more than 15% then more than likely they are fly by night merchants who will drop you, rip you, not pay you on time etc.

If between 12-15%. Good industry average.Average agency

If less than 12, then big agency, has agreed commission rates with clients most likely, has no problems with cash flow IMO. Good agency.

Even though Milan would say 'You agreed a price, you do the job'. I want to know who I am dealing with.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X