• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Health and safety at schools

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health and safety at schools

Was reading this article and gotta say I'm impressed.

I do think we could take it a step further though, why don't we come up with some kind of isolation cube thing, lock our kids in them in some sort of oxygen jelly compound and feed them sterilised nutrients. They'll be really safe then.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8107858.stm

Some highlights

Wearing goggles to put up posters
    Five-page briefing on the dangers of glue sticks
    Ban on running in the playground
    Wet grass stopping PE lessons
    Ban on playing with conkers
    One person at a time in staff kitchen
    Ban on sweets because of choking risk
    Buoyancy aids for capable year 11 swimmers on a school trip to France
    FFS, I lost count of the number of times as a kid I split my head open, scrapped the skin off knees and elbows or burnt myself. HTF do we end up at the point where health and safety dictate all this bollocks to us?

H&S, PC, fun hating spoilsports.

It's all a bit mental.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Originally posted by snaw View Post
    FFS, I lost count of the number of times as a kid I split my head open
    Not really a good counter argument

I get your point though!
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
      Not really a good counter argument

I get your point though!
      I know it wouldn't tread water in a public debate, but to me that's all being part of being a kid - you do dumb tulip and sometimes you get your head busted open ... and I wouldn't have changed it for the world.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Another nail in the coffin for my profession...

The people that come up with these STUPID rules should be sacked!

'elf and safety guru

Comment

I know it wouldn't tread water in a public debate, but to me that's all being part of being a kid - you do dumb tulip and sometimes you get your head busted open ... and I wouldn't have changed it for the world.
          Yup, it's called learning....
          'elf and safety guru

Comment

What if one of your little mates had split his head open as a kid and died though? You'd want stuff like this in place for your own children now.

I get why they're so anal about protecting kids...and I remember that it wasn't like that when we were kids and "didn't do us any harm" etc.

Getting a happy balance is a tough one.
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

Was reading this article and gotta say I'm impressed.

I do think we could take it a step further though, why don't we come up with some kind of isolation cube thing, lock our kids in them in some sort of oxygen jelly compound and feed them sterilised nutrients. They'll be really safe then.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8107858.stm

Some highlights

FFS, I lost count of the number of times as a kid I split my head open, scrapped the skin off knees and elbows or burnt myself. HTF do we end up at the point where health and safety dictate all this bollocks to us?

H&S, PC, fun hating spoilsports.

It's all a bit mental.
              Was watching BBC News this morning and it was denied that any of those listed are official policy and its down to people misinterpretting the rules. Which I dont believe. Why do we need rules in the first place? What happened to common sense?

Comment

What the Ned said!

Comment

It's all a bit mental.
                  No, it's the parents who are mental and will sue the school if their little pwince / pwrincess comes home with tales of injury or things being "not fair".

As a result schools have to be extra-stupid-paranoid about H&S.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Was watching BBC News this morning and it was denied that any of those listed are official policy and its down to people misinterpretting the rules. Which I dont believe.
                    These rules are not created by H&S professionals, but by school authorities who then pass them down.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Why do we need rules in the first place? What happened to common sense?
                    Good one! Oh just in case you were being serious, it's because most people have no common sense, as your naive answer demonstrates admirably.

Comment

Working...
                    X