• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First timer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First timer

Hi all,

I was recently made redundant and am now working on a part time basis.

We had a meeting recently regarding a permanent contract and they have suggested that maybe i could work as a contractor for them. this is the first time i have been offered this option.

i would just like some basic information on how hard it would be to start on this option and what i would need to do?

i will be doing financial and auditing work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dom

Originally posted by Dom_500 View Post
    Hi all,

I was recently made redundant and am now working on a part time basis.

We had a meeting recently regarding a permanent contract and they have suggested that maybe i could work as a contractor for them. this is the first time i have been offered this option.

i would just like some basic information on how hard it would be to start on this option and what i would need to do?

i will be doing financial and auditing work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dom
    Go and read the first timers guides on this web site, tulipe99 and the PCG. Also read the guides on IR35.

When you have a specific question come back and ask otherwise you will probably only get flamed.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Dom_500 View Post
      You've already done the hard part - you've found a contract.

The rest is just admin, either do it yourself or pick an accountant to help you through it.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Dom, did you ever hang around a gymnasium?
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

General advice on this type of setup so far has been "DONT DO IT!".

If you want to become a contractor, go work for a different client. If you move from being permie to contractor, you will be found to be inside IR35, and will pay much higher tax than you would if you were able to claim dividends, AND you'll have the associated costs of running your own company.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Actually, I don't think he will on this one..

Isn't there a problem with being made redundant and then the (ex-)employer making the suggestion that 'you could contract for us'?

They're avoiding all the boring/expensive/legal stuff like NI, insurance, employee's rights - that kind of thing.

If you've been made redundant it's because your job no longer exists, not that they want you to work without the rights that you had previously.

Get down to your Citizen's Advice Bureau and ask for their advice mate - they're taking the p1$$....

Actually - you didn't say it was the original employer, did you...
            Last edited by cojak; 19 June 2009, 12:44. Reason: Ah well...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Actually, I don't think he will on this one..

Isn't there a problem with being made redundant and then the (ex-)employer making the suggestion that 'you could contract for us'?

They're avoiding all the boring/expensive/legal stuff like NI, insurance, employee's rights - that kind of thing.

If you've been made redundant it's because your job no longer exists, not that they want you to work without the rights that you had previously.

Get down to your Citizen's Advice Bureau and ask for their advice mate - they're taking the p1$$....
              I had assumed he was redundant from on efirm and offered a contract for another.

If they made you redundant and are then offering the same work on a contract basis then you are quids in for a claim.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
              X