• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HELP! Desperate and Frustrated (long post)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Desperate and Frustrated (long post)

I'm fairly new to contracting, having started my first contract in April 2004. I was lucky enough to have that renewed 4 times until it finally came to an end at the beginning of February this year.

The role was pretty much a 2nd line support role, but I was working as the lead in the user / system admin team for a well known transporation company in London. There was a huge project to rollout Oracle and other enterprise apps to the business and my team fed into the programme, as well as providing general 2nd line desktop (XP & NT4) and server (NT4 & W2003) support. I was extremely well respected there and became the central point of focus for a lot of the local IT knowledge. I was working for a large outsourcing company, but unfortunately the contract was taken over by another supplier and all support was moved offsite (my function is now being provided from Inverness).

For financial reasons and really no other, I took up the first contract I was offered which was a Project Officer role for the NHS. I previously worked for the NHS for nearly 6 years and then local government for a few months, so have a wealth of NHS experience. I wasn't too keen on moving into project management though, but I have a can do attitude and have PRINCE2 foundation which I'd never really used, so thought I'd give it a go and nothing else had materialised. I was keen to make sure there were technical hands-on aspects to the role and was sufficiently satisfied on this (projects mentioned were SMS rollout and IP addressing migration). I wasn't there long enough for the hands-on stuff to materialise really though apart from a short stint setting a NHS smartcard registration PC in preparation for future implementation (one of 7 or 8 projects I was leading on). My contract was terminated for financial reasons (budget cuts meant culling contractors).

I was looking for 6 weeks, keen to get back into a pure support role, as I really hated the project management - it just wasn't challenging enough and certainly not cut and thrust, something which I particularly thrive on. I also really missed the interaction with the users that I'd previously had in my other jobs. Nothing came up at first and then I managed to land another short project admin role - I was desperate for money by this time and got offered the job without interview, so though what the hell and it's only for 6 weeks. Big mistake. The role was simply to produce a business case to support procurement of a clinical and patient information system, therefore I knew that it would not be extended. I continued looking for my next contract ideally 2nd line desktop/server support.

My contract finished on 8th July and I am still looking for work now and getting more frustrated and desperate by the day. I am determined to steer well clear of PM as I really hate it . I want to start working towards MCSE 2003 and because of this am really keen to be working in a role that will support me in doing this having the chance to apply my study in a commercial environment - not really an unreasonable aspiration. Anyhting working in an IT team would do, at least then I could ask questions.

I also have over 6 years team leading experience, but contract roles for support team leaders are rare and many now require ITIL foundation. I looked into ITIL, but being on JA benefits just cannot afford it (up to my eyes in debt )

I just cannot seem to get anywhere though and am pretty convinced that the PM roles are the major problem. I'm not being taken seriously when applying for support roles. I know and I've been told I have an excellent skill set being a very well rounded IT professional and I always have excellent feedback on my CV. I've tried stretching the truth a bit and putting some desktop support into the PM roles, but it's not easy and I don't want to be in a position to get caught out.

I've had interviews, but it never comes through.
    Quite a few roles, I never heard back anything after the interview despite hassling the agencies
    One role the feedback was that they felt I wouldn't fit into the team
    Another, the agency came back to me to say that the client felt that I would be uncomfortable working in an all male IT department
    A few roles, the feedback has been that the client hasn't felt that I'm technical enough.

Recent conversations with recruitment consultants have frustrated me even more - they have felt that the PM roles (14 weeks worth in total) will make it very difficult for me to get back into a technical hands on role. Combined now with more than a 3 month gap not working is really not good. I have only ever wanted a career in IT and have a real passion for what I do. I've had excellent feedback and references from all previous employers and really cannot see myself doing anything else. However, I am really starting to lose faith. I've got over 11 years IT support experience from 1st thru 3rd line, which seems to count for nothing. Most won't even consider me without MCSE and it's not that I don't want to do it, I simply cannot afford it in my current circumstances. It is now very hard for me to keep motivated and I'm usually a very self-motivated person.

I now do not know where to turn or what to do. I've never wanted to work so much in my life than what I do now. I also cannot afford much more time out of work professionaly and financially. I'm no longer restricting my search to contract, but looking at permanent as well, but no success there either.

I don't think I'm being too unreasonable in asking for a minimum rate of £18ph for a 2nd line support role in London and I have a wealth of experience and knowledge to share and very keen to do so.

I've thought about changing my CV to highlight more the support experience, but I just cannot see how I can do this. Leaving off the PM roles altogether leaves a 9 month gap which would be impossible to explain. I was thinking along the lines of a more skills based type CV, but just don't know where to start with that and experience shows that clients do prefer a more traditional CV. I think I would benefit from a session with a career consultant, but am dubious - tried PCS which is the only lot I know about, but they don't ever respond to me, therefore I think they would be a waste of time. I'd only probably need the free consultation just to get a bit of guidance and some basic guidelines, but I'm not too convinced it will really help that much.

The Job Centre are of course totally useless and I have only been signing on since the beginning of September (another mistake made). The just do not know how to deal with professional (what they call executive) job hunters. I'm registered with just about every agency (certainly all the bigger ones), do Jobserve and Jobsite searches daily. I must have applied for over 200 roles in the last 3 months.

I'm trying to keep myself occupied with the MCSE stuff doing free practice tests etc., helping friends and family out with problems on their PCs, responding to posts on newsgroups asking for help. the self-study MCSE route isn't really for me though - I much prefer a classroom environment and I do not have the kit to really practice properly at home.

If I can, I'd like to stick with contracting and have so much determination to do so, but cannot seem to get anything to turn into an actual job offer.

I know people on here have a great wealth of experience and I have really appreciated the advice given here to others in the past, so would really value any opinions anyone could offer on my situation. Am I a lost cause (my self-esteem at the moment is virtually non-existent)?

Thanks

Nicola

try jobserve, how is you CV written?
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

For a techy CV, change your CV so that your PM stint gets rephrased into a techy stint
      For PM roles, change your CV so that your techy stints gets rephrased into a PM stint

Do we really have to teach the art of lying to every would-be contractor?

FFS...................
      Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Well, you can study for an MCSE without being in work - the exams are an expense but it may be possible to get a grant / training loan from one of the government agencies, and it might even be possible to get funding to go on a course ...

http://www.learndirect-advice.co.uk/...thfunding/all/

As for career gap, 'travelling' is the old fallback. Dont say 'illness' or 'personal circumstances'. Id try applying for a couple of roles without the PM stuff on your CV and see what happens.

Dont put specific dates on your roles, just say June - September 2004 for example. Gives a bit of extra leeway and you can always mistakenly add a month.

And although 18/ph is not excessive, you might just have to take slightly less for say 3 months if for no other reason than to get back to work and therefore help your self esteem...

Good luck
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
          For a techy CV, change your CV so that your PM stint gets rephrased into a techy stint
          For PM roles, change your CV so that your techy stints gets rephrased into a PM stint

Do we really have to teach the art of lying to every would-be contractor?

FFS...................

Becky...I love it when you talk dirty!

Comment

Nicola, just keep trying, but prehaps you need to look at your CV.
            good luck
            SA says;
            Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            (whatever these are)

Comment

The predicted response (from SteveO) I'm afraid. Stick with it is all I can suggest. If you've got the cash try going on one of the Boot Camp MCSE courses. I paid about 4.5k for 2 weeks, but that was more because I was too busy (aka lazy) to do it at home. I suspect that isn't an option for you.
              If you can get a good PM role, then do so, even if you use it as a stop-gap while you get yourself fully certified. MCSEs are pretty common though, so it might be worth getting something else besides. The ITIL foundation is pretty easy, especially if you have all the documentation. (Hint -Try the P2P networks, that's where I got most of my training stuff. Pm me if you need any help, it's kind of illegal and I doubt the admins would appreciate posting details on here.) It's worth doing to put yourself ahead of someone who doesn't have it. There are plenty of contracts going at the moment, you just need to persevere and you may need to compromise on your choices. Good luck.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

P.S if you know a friendly contractor with their own limited company put in a two month contract working for them, say it was sub-contracted and you worked for Company X doing a rollout... then name your friendly contractor as a reference. Just use your previous experience to describe what you did on your imaginary contract.

Not that id ever do that of course...
                Vieze Oude Man

Comment

thought about changing my CV to highlight more the support experience, but I just cannot see how I can do this. Leaving off the PM roles altogether leaves a 9 month gap which would be impossible to explain.

How about a wee bit of tweaking , converting your PM role to a support role on your CV , perhaps mentioning that you were somtimes working in close liason with the PM and being involved in project work in addition to support, not an uncommon event.

That will boost your chances of getting a support role, otherwise you will be passed over for support as the agent may think that you may leave the support contract prematurely should a PM role arise.

Succesful contractors tend to tailor their CVs to each requirment,that way you will have a better prospect of gaining a contract.

Whatever you do ...good luck.

Comment

Nicola

The key to succesful contracting is flexibility and ultimately contracting is all about making money to enable your life goals. As money is tight apply for everything and anything you can do, support, project work, whatever anything to make sure you get paid. Once you are back on your feet then you can start thinking about training courses etc. You need to stay positive and focused on what you want and plan you can get there in the shortest possible time. Get positive people around you and never doubt yourself. Also on a tactical level look at your CV, if you were a hiring manager and your CV landed on your desk what would make it jump out from the rest. Once you have worked on your Cv get on jobserve and apply like there is no tomorrow. All the best and remember to stay positive.
                    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Working...
                    X