• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My "I'll do anything" contract... a few weeks in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My "I'll do anything" contract... a few weeks in

Feck me I'm supposed to be doing desktop/network support, today I've put some sticky labels on some desks and fitted a new tyre to a trolley WTF?

I'm working with a team of people who have MCSE's, MCSA's, CCNA's etc etc and we are all doing this de-skilled bulltulip type work... pays the bills I suppose.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    flip me I'm supposed to be doing desktop/network support, today I've put some sticky labels on some desks and fitted a new tyre to a trolley WTF?

I'm working with a team of people who have MCSE's, MCSA's, CCNA's etc etc and we are all doing this de-skilled bulltulip type work... pays the bills I suppose.
    Head down and get on with it squire
    Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
    I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by tino View Post
      Head down and get on with it squire
      That's just it, I don't really do anything all day so I don't really know why I'm here? It's a public sector site and I'm contracting with a 3rd party private company so I can only assume they're charging per body on site so they're quids in just for the fact I turn up every day.

I'd just like to thank all the tax payers for the privilege.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        That's just it, I don't really do anything all day so I don't really know why I'm here? It's a public sector site and I'm contracting with a 3rd party private company so I can only assume they're charging per body on site so they're quids in just for the fact I turn up every day.

I'd just like to thank all the tax payers for the privilege.
        Quit whining man and build up that warchest
        Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
        I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by tino View Post
          Quit whining man and build up that warchest
          WHS

Comment

Sopmetimes that's just the way it is....

Yesterday I was asked to come up with 5 basic rules for using a crane that they could roll out today...

I gave them the 5 basic rules on a 1 page powerpoint presentation, that was all I was required to do. I also told them that it would bring the factory to a halt if they roled them out coz they couldn't comply with rule 1.

Todays request is to put together a bulletin to explain to all staff that there are 5 basic rules coming down the line to them.... when the company has complied with basic rule number 1....

10 minutes work in 2 days.... You couldn't make it up!

Brain the size of a planet and they've got me parking cars
            'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
              Sopmetimes that's just the way it is....

Yesterday I was asked to come up with 5 basic rules for using a crane that they could roll out today...

I gave them the 5 basic rules on a 1 page powerpoint presentation, that was all I was required to do. I also told them that it would bring the factory to a halt if they roled them out coz they couldn't comply with rule 1.

Todays request is to put together a bulletin to explain to all staff that there are 5 basic rules coming down the line to them.... when the company has complied with basic rule number 1....

10 minutes work in 2 days.... You couldn't make it up!

Brain the size of a planet and they've got me parking cars
              In my previous contract I too worked more or less 10 minutes a day, on some really busy days I did half to 1 hour's work, but guess what the client thought I was worth my weight in gold (I do love Strategy work ), its not the amount of hours it takes you to deliver something, its the results and what you actually deliver that matters, I had the relevant knowledge that they lacked, my experience and ability to advise them on the right direction/decision to make was highly valued.

Comment

Look at it this way - when this gig finishes you'll be a shoo-in for a job at Kwik Fit

IGMC
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

You think you’ve got it bad. The MD here has to do all the catering and cleaning.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                  X