• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New fitted kitchen

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New fitted kitchen

Anyone know how the pricing structure works for these "all inc" kitchen companies.

Is it a % based on the cost of the units/appliances?

They seem very reluctant to explain it to me.

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Anyone know how the pricing structure works for these "all inc" kitchen companies.

I think it's much more based on how much they think they can squeeze out of you...

Mum and Dad got a little independent chap in who did Dolphin installations and he was less than half what they charged (and he used equally as good fittings and furniture...)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      I think it's much more based on how much they think they can squeeze out of you...

Mum and Dad got a little independent chap in who did Dolphin installations and he was less than half what they charged (and he used equally as good fittings and furniture...)
      That's the impression I'm getting

Comment

Tell em to explain it or not have the business.

You can find good quality units and doors on t'internet and I am sure a local joiner/kitchen fitter would be glad of the work in the current economic climate.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Do your research and find out what's a fair price. Then discount 1-2K as a recession price.
          Then go to them and say this is what I'm prepared to pay -take it or leave it.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Argghhhh

Me: I'd like to know how the pricing is structured for installation please
            Salesbloke: It's built into the cost of the units sir
            Me: so it's a set cost per unit?
            SB: yes sir.
            Me: So when I pick a set of taps and a sink, you know what the istallation cost will be?
            SB: yes.
            Me: Regardless of where the plumbing is?
            SB: The cost of installation is included.
            Me: So it's the same cost even if it's at the other end of the kitchen to the pipes? How does that work?
            SB: The installation covers the best and the worst cost.
            Me(incredulous): In one price?
            SB: yes
            Me: What if I don't need any plumbing?
            SB: Then it's included in the price.

He then came up with some analogy about me not needing to know the cost of the windscreen when buying a BMW.

Comment

Always, but always go local independant.

You'll get bespoke for a better price than one of these sheds will give to ro put their standard stuff in.

You'll get guys who want to do a good job as they've a reputation to keep.

Draw the analogy back to what you do for a living and you won't be far wrong
              'elf and safety guru

Comment

Argghhhh

Me: I'd like to know how the pricing is structured for installation please
                Salesbloke: It's built into the cost of the units sir
                Me: so it's a set cost per unit?
                SB: yes sir.
                Me: So when I pick a set of taps and a sink, you know what the istallation cost will be?
                SB: yes.
                Me: Regardless of where the plumbing is?
                SB: The cost of installation is included.
                Me: So it's the same cost even if it's at the other end of the kitchen to the pipes? How does that work?
                SB: The installation covers the best and the worst cost.
                Me(incredulous): In one price?
                SB: yes
                Me: What if I don't need any plumbing?
                SB: Then it's included in the price.

He then came up with some analogy about me not needing to know the cost of the windscreen when buying a BMW.
                What he means is "we are making so much on this tulip that even if we have to replumb your kitchen we can make a fortune".
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                  What he means is "we are making so much on this tulip that even if we have to replumb your kitchen we can make a fortune".
                  Exactly.

/Strikes KitchensDirect off the list

Comment

My kitchen itself cost £2K from B&Q and my joiner cost just £10 an hour for fitting.

Including time for plastering, rebuilding a bathroom, the kitchen, and other things his labour was £3K in total for effectively restoring a detached house.

Bargain And very nice veneer wood kitchen. Including appliances.

Comment

Working...
                    X