• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The dumbing down continues.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dumbing down continues.....

Last edited by Toolpusher; 3 June 2012, 16:11.

Surely this is the exact opposite of dumbing down. The 'i' before 'e' "rule" is dumbing down because it's an over-simplification that is frequently wrong.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I like the comment at the end, it made me laugh: (This version CORRECTS spelling of Bovill, sted Bovell, in graf 4.)
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Surely this is the exact opposite of dumbing down. The 'i' before 'e' "rule" is dumbing down because it's an over-simplification that is frequently wrong.
        i before e
        except after 'c',
        before silent 'gh'
        or before silent 'g'

That covers most cases.
        Last edited by RichardCranium; 22 June 2009, 14:17. Reason: Error highlighed by DaveB, thank you.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          i before e
          except before 'c',
          before silent 'gh'
          or before silent 'g'

That covers most cases.
          Seize

Comment

I've always found these 'rules' useful. For instance, it's much easier to remember the order of colours in the rainbow with ROYGBIV or the days in months by '30 days hath September, April, June and November' etc .........

Dumping rules is a really bad sign of the times IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              I've always found these 'rules' useful. For instance, it's much easier to remember the order of colours in the rainbow with ROYGBIV or the days in months by '30 days hath September, April, June and November' etc .....
              To work out the number of days in successive months it's far easier to use your knuckles than that laborious poem - Hold out your left fist, face down, and count in from the knuckles of your little finger, including the hollows between each knuckle.

You should reach the index finger knuckle at july, whereupon you start from that same knuckle and count back the other way. Dunno how this will turn out in proportional spacing, but let's give it a go:

(___)___(___)___(___)___(___)

__J___f___M__a___M___j___J -->

_________D__n___O___s___A <--

So then every month with 31 days lands on a knuckle, and the rest (including february) fall on a hollow between two knuckles, indicated in lowercase above.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                i before e
                except before 'c',
                before silent 'gh'
                or before silent 'g'

That covers most cases.
                Except weird, which is just, er, weird.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

It's a crap rule that just serves to confuse
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Bad journalism, sadly

Originally posted by Toolpusher View Post
                    British government spells end of 'i before e' rule

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090620/...lling_shake_up
                    So I did a search for "support for spelling" and, to my surprise, found it.

It is a 120-odd page .PDF freely available for download. It is aimed at primary schools and provides a strategy for teaching spelling. It is not about dumbing down but helping teach good spelling. It is from the National Strategies part of the Dept for something or other.

The "i before e" thing is referenced twice. Once is as a suggested exercise for children to explore its validity (which is a fun idea). The second is:

Note: The i before e except after c rule is not worth teaching. It applies only to words in which the ie or ei stands for a clear /ee/ sound and unless this is known, words such as sufficient, veil and their look like exceptions. There are so few words where the ei spelling for the /ee/ sound follows the letter c that it is easier to learn the specific words: receive, conceive,deceive (+ the related words receipt, conceit, deceit), perceive and ceiling.
                    Sadly, it is NOT a case of dumbing down by the government, but by the media.
                    Last edited by RichardCranium; 21 June 2009, 20:40. Reason: Typo!
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X