• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgage

I know that some of the finest financial minds populate this forum, sacrificed a top job in the city to cut code in a cube.

If one would be looking for a 60% mortgage, fixed or tracker?

fixed, all the good tracker ones got pulled hours after the Bank of England set the LIBOR low. Also if you go tracker consider the variable interest rate you would pay, what goes down must go up and that applies to the the Standard Variable Rate and any offset on a tracker.

With a 60% mortgage you 'should' be on the right side of one of the Loan To Value ratios of Fixed Interest Rate Mortgages, rule of thumb is that the lower the Loan To Value Ratio the lower the fixed interest rate will be.

Also I didn't swap my high flying city job for a cubicle, I still have my high flying
    top City job and I work in a cubicle and feel partly responsible for the down turn, Gordon Brown are you reading this ?, pass the buck, don't pass Go, do not collect £200 you know the rest ...
    Last edited by eliquant; 21 June 2009, 06:23.

Comment

I would say fixed, if nothing else at least you have certainty over the repayment amounts.

I am always one to have the "worst case scenario" at the back of my mind (which is probably why I might not achieve as much out of life as if I were more gung-ho, never mind).

It is easy to forget in the current low interest rate environment that the Bank of England rate (in those days set by the treasury) was 13% in November 1988, was up to 15% by October 1989. It stayed that way for one year and didn't go below 10% until the second half of 1992.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/stati...s/baserate.pdf (SFW)

What is going to happen in the future? The main questions to consider are:

Is inflation dead or merely sleeping?

If it is merely sleeping, how dedicated to fighting it will the Bank of England be when it wakes up?

It would appear to me that despite inflation being the BofE's one supposed consideration when setting interest rates, that has in fact been a secondary consideration over the past nine months or so.

Then again, even if rates do eventually skyrocket - you might have paid off the mortgage by then in which case it wouldn't matter.

Comment

Go tracker. Take a chance!
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Go for the cheapest deal which will certainly not be a fix. Interest rates will remain low for another year or so yet, so the SVR looks best until rates go up.

Comment

Depending on the value of the mortgage at the LTV the best I could find was base + 2.39 offset tracker with First Direct. Depends how soon you plan to pay it off. Short term Alliance and Liecester had some good deals a couple of months back.

Comment

What's a mortgage? (Looks up "mortgage" on Wikipedia....) Oh yes, definitely a fixed rate jobby. Rates will be shooting up within 18 months once the wall of money that Mr Darling is printing works through to the high street. I expect inflation to be ~10% within 2 to 3 years.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Looks like you can get 5 year fixed rate mortgages at about 4.5 from a very quick search, halifax and post office. Max 60% LTV rate which is ideal.

I can also see interest rates going through the roof in 2 years so a 5 year would be ideal.

Comment

We fixed @ 4.54% with Britannia for 10 years and it ended in January 2009. I think that 4.5% is a pretty good bet over the longer term, I reckon you'll come out on top with that and in the meantime you'll know exactly how much you'll be paying.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    We fixed @ 4.54% with Britannia for 10 years and it ended in January 2009. I think that 4.5% is a pretty good bet over the longer term, I reckon you'll come out on top with that and in the meantime you'll know exactly how much you'll be paying.
                    That doesn't make sense, the Britiania's fixed rate 10 years ago was circa 5.55% (with a much higher APR of around 7%). The BOE base rate was 6%.
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 21 June 2009, 14:33.
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X